2006 Sea Doo Sportster 150: vehicle towing question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosiers20

Would a small SUV with AWD and a towing capacity of 3,000lbs have any trouble towing/launching a 2006 Sea Doo Sportster 150? I understand that the "dry weight" is 1453lbs, add fluids/fuel is about another 200lbs. Not quite sure what the trailer weight is, but it's the standard Sea Doo trailer. Wondering if anyone else has had any success in this area with a vehicle tow rating in the 3,000lb ballpark. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I tow my 2006 Seadoo Sportster 150 with a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2DR that has a max tow capacity of 2000 pounds. It has a 3.6 liter V-6. You should have no problem if the max capacity of your vehicle is in the 3000 pound range. I even have a small lift kit of 2.5 inches and have 35" tires on my Jeep. The 4WD will help at the ramp. I always put my Jeep in 4WD when launching or retrieving at the ramp. Sometimes the concrete at the ramp gets pretty slimy and slippery. I also have a 2x4 that I wedge on my brake pedal when I am launching or retrieving by myself. Four tires locked are a lot better than two. Don't want to be a Jeep Submarine Captain! I've seen too many U-Tube videos of people launching their vehicles into the lake.

Should be good but remember you have to stop it.pulling and retrieving won't be a problem but stopping will be the only down fall.have your pads changed to high end non dust pads.imo.ive overloaded alot of vehicles in my life and the only problem was stopping.i towed a box van filled with tools and 3 dirt bikes water a bunk bed for motocross 100 miles with a Jeep cherokee.scariest and dumbest thing I've done but saved a 500 tow bill

Appreciate the input. I live close to the water so I maybe have to travel 3-4 miles max with it. I currently tow it with my Ram 1500 V8 Hemi but am going to switch into something more family-friendly. Even with my full sized truck I still drive super slow with it.
I tow my 2006 Seadoo Sportster 150 with a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2DR that has a max tow capacity of 2000 pounds. It has a 3.6 liter V-6. You should have no problem if the max capacity of your vehicle is in the 3000 pound range. I even have a small lift kit of 2.5 inches and have 35" tires on my Jeep. The 4WD will help at the ramp. I always put my Jeep in 4WD when launching or retrieving at the ramp. Sometimes the concrete at the ramp gets pretty slimy and slippery. I also have a 2x4 that I wedge on my brake pedal when I am launching or retrieving by myself. Four tires locked are a lot better than two. Don't want to be a Jeep Submarine Captain! I've seen too many U-Tube videos of people launching their vehicles into the lake.
Looks like I have the same boat/trailer as you. Any idea of the "total weight" with the boat and trailer is?

I've been meaning to take my boat to the local garbage dump where they have a weight scale to get an exact weight with a full tank of gas, but haven't gotten around to it yet...I'm thinking it is right at 2000 pounds with boat, trailer, and a full tank of gas...my 2-door Jeep pulls it very well...towed the boat to Eufala Alabama a few months ago with lots of steep hills and it did fine... I allow plenty of extra following distance, drive defensively, and don't go over 70 miles an hour on the interstate. Never had any "butt clenching" moments...

As mentioned, it's not really a matter of being able to pull it, it's a matter of being able to stop. It's a relatively light boat and trailer, but the more important factor would be the tongue weight of the trailer, and GAWR (gross axle weight rating) of the vehicle so you're not overloading your rear axle.

It's all well and good until you're into an accident and they start checking weights and weight ratings of the vehicle... liability can become an issue very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back