To Buy or Not to buy?!?! QUICK REPLY NEEDED

Buy Or Not??

• Buy

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Don't Buy

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Know Nothing

Hello All!!!

My name is Bryan and this is my first post. I seek the expertise of all the knowledgeable owners/experts of SeaDoos. Here is my situation...

I have been around boats all my life and know alot about them. I can fix them, sell them, drive them, ride them, etc. I'm good with boats...
Seadoos/Jet skis in general are a diff story. As my sn implies I KNOW NOTHING. Other than the fact that they are fun.

I have an opportunity to buy 2 1996 Seadoos (XP 787 and SPX) 2 seaters with a double trailer for roughly $2000 buy the time i get new batteries and a new starter for the XP. I have seen pics and they look great. Also have talked to the seller a couple of times and he seems pretty honest/straightforward about history.

Run down on skis:

XP - seller claims jus needs a batt. and a starter and runs great. and it's modified for racing (aftermarket exhaust/handlebars and other stuff not really sure what he was talkin about). Ripped seat and very fast.

SPX - Looks and runs great just needs a new batt. as well.

I have watched my neighbor fix anything. He runs a very profitable side business fixing cars/boats/atvs/gokarts/seadoos/etc. He admittedly says there's nothing he can't fix other than an outboard motor. I also have the benefit that he fixes anything of mine for free other than parts and my time to help him fix it. He told me that just to get 1 working ski (SPX) with the trailer is worth the 2g. Think of the XP as a bonus with the guarantee that he could get it running even if more is wrong with it than the starter...

So...all that being said, in my shoes please let me know if you guys would buy or not?? I think it's a great deal but wanna know what you guys think...

Thanks!!!!
Bryan

Sounds like a decent deal, and having someone you know that can work on them should help too. The only thing i recommend is keep it to one post, i see that you put this under multiple topics...

Hitman: Sorry. I needed it to get alot of exposure because I'm supposed to go look at them tomorrow. Point take and will be sure not to in the future. Thanks for the reply.

As a Friend and neighbor he should not mind if YOU RIDE THEM FIRST!
Have him buy and install the starter, You could buy the batteries as they are
a commodity item. Price is good for maintained skis. MAINTENANCE IS everything!

I agree with Bills here, if you really want to test them out , go pick up a battery, test one ski with it, then remove it and test the other with it. You will know the full story after you ride them. Its unfortunate, but remember, the ones that seem honest, may not be at all. Fomr what it sounds like, he has the advantage on knowledge on the skis. Talk to your neighbor and ask if he would go with you. I dont know if you read this thread or not, but its a good read for someone who is new to the sport :) make a checklist and grab your neighbor, and go for a ride.

http://seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=134

Best of luck, i hope the deal is as good as it sounds.

Bills:

I could see where my first post was confusing. My neighbor is not the one selling them. It's a craiglist deal...Also, the seller lives about an hour away and neighbor keeps a busy schedule so riding along wasn't really an option for him..

I would buy for that price, but only if I could here them run. If you buy them without hearing them run you are taking a big risk. Good luck with the purchase:cheers:

Craigslist

Bills:

I could see where my first post was confusing. My neighbor is not the one selling them. It's a craiglist deal...Also, the seller lives about an hour away and neighbor keeps a busy schedule so riding along wasn't really an option for him..

I still can't believe how many people think this is a good place to find a jet ski or any other type vehicle. Craigslist has had some really bad marks about scammers.

Logic: If the person had something for sale that was a great deal, why wouldn't they try and sell if to some one local through their local media? ....because they have something to hide. If you buy something from ebay or craigslist, I hope your a good mechanic and know your way around to correct anything you just got screwed over with.

Not long ago, a member thought he got a really killer deal. He got the ski and all, looked great but the seller forgot to include the lanyard. I gave him the advice on how to purchase one from his local seadoo shop. When he went to get one, the guy he bought the ski from didn't send complete paperwork. So, now he doesn't have a running ski nor does he have the legal paperwork that says it's actually his. At least, it didn't come back stolen.

There are people here who are capable of making a good deal on craigslist or ebay. But the idea is, you have to be able to look at it and check it over. Don't buy anything blind............

Sorry.... But the hype of all these people thinking their getting something for nothing from craigslist just makes me nauseous.:ack:

That really is just an OK deal, at least for Ohio area. A 96 spx is worth about $900 in good clean working condition, used single trailer about $250, double $500. A 96 xp is worth about $1300 in good running condition. As a package, you should also expect the trailer to be close to free.

Now, if you don't hear them both run, it's a terrible deal and you have to assume the worst when buying non-running older seadoos. I buy lots of them and generally parting them out is worth more than fixing them. A blown up 96 xp is worth about $600, 96 spx about $350. Also, if it does run, it has to be solid, meaning good compression and no noisy bearings, or piston slap because they don't run long with problems like that.

I don't know if this person is honest and it doesn't matter, you can't believe anything they tell you. You have to verify everything for yourself. If it just needs a starter, before you shell out money, put one in, get it running and check the compression and listen for engine noise.

That really is just an OK deal, at least for Ohio area. A 96 spx is worth about $900 in good clean working condition, used single trailer about $250, double $500. A 96 xp is worth about $1300 in good running condition. As a package, you should also expect the trailer to be close to free.

Now, if you don't hear them both run, it's a terrible deal and you have to assume the worst when buying non-running older seadoos. I buy lots of them and generally parting them out is worth more than fixing them. A blown up 96 xp is worth about $600, 96 spx about $350. Also, if it does run, it has to be solid, meaning good compression and no noisy bearings, or piston slap because they don't run long with problems like that.

I don't know if this person is honest and it doesn't matter, you can't believe anything they tell you. You have to verify everything for yourself. If it just needs a starter, before you shell out money, put one in, get it running and check the compression and listen for engine noise.

+1, water test a must "Nothing"

The water test is a must, you may be able to get a 2000bux engine job to fix each one but the impossible MPEM makes these glorified doorstops if they do not run. You could part them out and sell the trailer but chances are riding is what you want - ride ,running or no deal.

If somethings sold for $2000 it's usually worth $2000.
People on this forum just want your first PWC experience to be a dream not a nightmare. Goodluck.

As others have said, don't close the deal if you can't test first. No "honest" person would insist on you buying without having the chance to have them checked out. If the seller will let you, try to bring them home, hook a hose up and run them, see how they sound. See if your neighbor has time to check them out, check compression, seals, fuel and oil systems, etc. Sea trial isn't really possible this time of year in Ohio so if you have to make a quick decision, at least make sure they check out well in "garage" tests. If the seller won't give you the chance to have them checked out, he may not be all that honest.

OOPS! My bad. For some reason I thought you were in Ohio, but I see you're in Virginia. Still not much difference. I can't believe conditions are OK in Virginia for a sea trial.

well guys I really appreciate all the feedback. Turns out the guy sold them the next day so maybe they were a good deal. Oh well. I feel confident something else will come down the line. Thanks again for all your feedback and information. I feel like i know alot more already!!!

Thanks again!!
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back