How exactly does running hose flood engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

burtshaver2021

Premium Member
Premium Member
So I had stopped in about 4 months ago to ask about a pair of 96 XP’s I seen at a mechanics, he wasn’t interested in selling them at that time, said he was going to fix up the one to drive. Drove by multiple times all summer and they were always sitting in his back compound so today I stopped again and asked about them, he said “ yeah are you interested In buying them” I said yeah, I’d like to talk about it” so as we are talking I ask why he’s selling them and he says the starter is intermittent in the good one, the other one has no motor. I say, hmmm, an intermittently starter doesn’t stop a guy like you ( remember he’s a mechanic) he says yeah, in just got tired of it, if I want one I will get one that works. So we look at it, there’s a garden hose attached to the engine, he says, that’s there because I had it on the hose, I say “ how long did you run it on the hose” thinking he may have overheated the carbon seal. He says “ oh, I never got it running “ I say “ but you had the hose running?” He says “ yeah I had my boat mechanic friend here “ I say “ oh no, you never run the hose with the engine off, that’s like golden rule number 1 and I go on to tell him there’s likely water in the crankcase now, he says” I don’t see how that’s possible, they are separate systems” I explain that I can’t think exactly how the water gets in there but that I hear if it all the time on this form and that it can happen from towing as well and that the manual states to pinch off the water inlet hose for the same reason. He again says that’s not possible. So I said I would get a better detailed explanation of how it enters? I believe it enters through the exhaust ports but I would appreciate an explanation of exactly how it enters so I can explain it to him if I go back, needless to say I will be offering much less than his asking price knowing what I know, thank you

Ok, it is pretty simple. And Yes, the mechanic has no clue. And yes that engine is full of water. Pull the spark plugs and crank it over and water will shoot out.

These use lake water to cool the engine so the water goes into the cylinder head and around the cylinder water jackets. Then you have hot exhaust that needs to be cooled so that water from the cylinders goes around the exhaust water jacket. Then you need to cool the muffler and rubber couplers so water is dumped into the inner pipe and exhaust stream to cool the muffler and quiet the sound as the sound has to go through the water that sits in the muffler.
This is where your cooling and exhaust systems mix and the problem is. The water from the hose fills up the muffler and pipe. Since the engine is not running there is no exhaust to blow the water out the pipe, muffler and exhaust outlet so once it gets full enough it flows backwards up the exhaust manifold and into the exhaust ports. Since it is a 2-stroke there are no exhaust valves and once it gets into the cylinders it flows through the transfer and boost ports into the bottom end and crankshaft (again 2-stroke).

Ok, it is pretty simple. And Yes, the mechanic has no clue. And yes that engine is full of water. Pull the spark plugs and crank it over and water will shoot out.

These use lake water to cool the engine so the water goes into the cylinder head and around the cylinder water jackets. Then you have hot exhaust that needs to be cooled so that water from the cylinders goes around the exhaust water jacket. Then you need to cool the muffler and rubber couplers so water is dumped into the inner pipe and exhaust stream to cool the muffler and quiet the sound as the sound has to go through the water that sits in the muffler.
This is where your cooling and exhaust systems mix and the problem is. The water from the hose fills up the muffler and pipe. Since the engine is not running there is no exhaust to blow the water out the pipe, muffler and exhaust outlet so once it gets full enough it flows backwards up the exhaust manifold and into the exhaust ports. Since it is a 2-stroke there are no exhaust valves and once it gets into the cylinders it flows through the transfer and boost ports into the bottom end and crankshaft (again 2-stroke).
Thank you, I knew that there would be water in there, probably the reason she won’t crank over anymore but yeah I couldn’t explain to him how it exactly happened. I have to say a little bit of knowledge is dangerous around these machines, crying shame, he took what was probably a perfect candidate for a restoration and pretty much wrecked it in my opinion. I may go back, I may not. If I do, I’m taking a battery and my plug socket. I would kind of like him to see the water shooting out the plug holes. Ok, thanks again

Lol, I just thought. I was just going to open this thread to have him read your post but not sure how it would go over when he reads “ and yes, the mechanic has no clue”. Another shining example of why we learn to do our own work

I get it.
I have a few skis I made offers on 5-10 years ago and they swore they were going to fix them and had no interest in selling them. Every year I drive by they get worse and worse and have never moved.

Back