Thinking of selling my 1996 seadoo xp for a Seadoo XP limited with the 951 motor

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowsgonemadd3

I think my 1996 seadoo xp is going to need a top end rebuild soon. It tends to start hard in the water and it starts easier if you lean to the left and get the exhaust out of the water a bit. I have not did a compression test yet.

It runs great once it is started though :)

I am thinking about selling it rather than dropping in a lot of cash for a motor rebuild. I was thinking of getting a seadoo limited which was made in 1999? I wanted an XP with the 951 motor in it. This is the one I am talking about: 1999_sea-doo_xp_limited_24739199.jpg

I figure I am gonna drop in a lot to have my motor rebuilt so I should sell it while it runs and put that cash towards a nicer seadoo.

What do yall think about the 951 motors? I have the 787 and its fine but the extra 20 hp might be nice. 951 motors are used in like a ton of seadoos so they cant be too bad.

The '98 XP actually had the first 951, but the '99 was a marked improvement.

I only own 951 skis and even have a spare 951 in the basement just because down time is unacceptable.

I did a similar move last summer I had 360 hrs on a '99 GTX LTD, which I sold for $2,600, I then bought a '02 GTX carb 951 for $4,000.

$1,000 for a rebuild engine and pain in the butt... (not the engine, just the work). or $1,400 for a whole new ski with only 35 hrs on it?

it wasn't a hard choice, but the 6 hr each way drive was... but I made it :)

If you were near PA, I'd make an offer on that ski knowing the price of a 787 rebuild... assuming it was in good shape and everything worked...

Hi, and welcome to the SeaDoo forum.

Don't do it. Me and a lot of other guys on this forum think the 96XP is the best ski that SeaDoo ever built, if you don't believe me check out the X4 thread. If you sell it you're gonna be sorry.

Lou

Is it cheap and or easy to rebuild the 787 motor? The body is in good shape, it just needs some work. VTS is shot as usual for these things but thats about it. Well the gauges dont work either on the thing. Another common thing I am told.

About not selling it because its the best ever. Uh...I am not seadoo expert. I come here for advice :) So....I am not sure what to believe. I mean the 951 motor according to my research was used on like all future seadoos for many years. It surely cant be that bad.

I just hate to drop in 600-1000 bucks into a motor rebuild on a seadoo only worth 1500 bucks or so running.

See I like the handling of this little tike even though it tips easy so its best for 1 person. Thats why I want another XP just with the 951 motor in it.

The newer XP is a totally different ski. (bigger, and has a parabolic hull) Also, I'm not a fan of the 951 engine. It makes good power, but it's not the longest lived engine.

It's up to you... but when you buy a used ski... it may not be any better than what you have now.

Last thing... if the compression is low, you could probably just do a top-end, and you will only be into it for $300. AND... since you haven't checked the compression... there may not be anything wrong with the engine. It could just be the carbs.

It's a piece of crap! Sell it! By the way where are you located? I'll take off your hands for $500.00. ;-)

Seriously you will regret it if you do. The '96 XP is one of the best no doubt like Lou said. I just got through spending 1100.00 for a complete rebuild because I love the way that boat handles instead of parting it out and trying to find something else that I know I would not like nearly as good.

Kyle

get a double trailer ;)... problem. solved.

The X4 is wicked fun, no doubt, I've ridden the 96 XP, but I prefer my 02 for bigger water, jumps good and rides smoother, and turns in HARD... I'd get a X4 hull, but I have no skills with anything other than the 951s.

This place did 3 engines for me. Very satisfied with the work.

2 year no fault: on a 787 engine: $899.00

http://www.seadooengineshop.com/seadoo-engines-premium/

I think these NEW seadoos are okay if you wanna drive them in the ocean but around the lake they are about as big as a boat. I had never even rode a seadoo until last year and I just went and bought a seadoo XP because of the reputation it has.

All I know is the thing will roll over a lot in the water before it starts unless you lean to the left and get the exhaust out of the water or someone holds the back end up as you roll it over. With 2 people on it, it barely starts at all. Out of the water it cranks in a moment.

Sounds like low compression?

Does anyone think I am going to get anything better by going to the 1999 XP limited with its new design?

but it's not the longest lived engine

Does that mean it does not have long life before a top end rebuild is needed?

I have good news :)

I went and bought brand new plugs. Obviously the guy I bought it from never replaced the spark plugs. I took them out again to replace them and noticed in comparison to the identical new plugs the print on the old plugs was badly faded. I started it for a moment out of the water and it IDLED fine. I was like this is a good sign. I put it in the water and in like 1 second it fired up and no leaning to the left. So me and my dad who weighs more than me put it in our pond and multiple starts, it started in like 1 second.

I decided since its not the motor compression, I am NOT going to sell it. :) I may sell it one day but for now this thing rocks with the new plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back