Seadoo xp 951 pump support plate removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Landen Koch

I need to remove the pump support plate to shim behind it because my alignment tool is sitting way low in the thru hull fitting so I need to get it centered and then shim the motor. I know I will need to remove the intake grate and the bolts and hosing inside the hull, but do I need to remove the ride plate or any bolts on the bottom of the ski. It’s a 2000 seadoo xp

Yes, you will need to remove the ride plate and intake grate first, the ride plate is sealed to the pump support, when you put it back together don't be shy with the sealant.

Permatex ”The Right Stuff” I know some people will say to use ultra black but I find the right stuff is a little thicker and stays in place more, easier to work with. Supposed to resist blowout better. Don’t get the aerosol version get the calking gun style and make sure you let it cure plenty long enough before you drop it back in the water or you’ll blow the sealant out

Ok, do I need sealant on the intake grate and like on the bottom seam where the ride plate meets the fiberglass, and where is the best place to pull and pry to bust it loose

Yes, I would seal up any edges or seams with sealant
I would use a small bottle Jack set on the top side of the ride plate and use a piece of wood to
Press against the fiberglass on the top side and put a bit of pressure on the ride plate, apply enough pressure to start stretching the sealant but not too much then cut any sealant you can get at with a knife, apply a little more pressure, don’t try to rush it or you’ll break the ride shoe. Of course make sure you have all the hardware out first.
Once you get the plate off you will probably notice where it was leaking.

See the pic for the bottle Jack placement
Sorry I was thinking you were taking it apart because it was leaking, anyways same process for what your doing, once you get the ride shoe off your going to try to separate the pump support from the hull, again cut whatever sealant you can with a long knife. Remove all the cables and hoses from the inside of the hull from the pump support and all the hardware.
I use a ratchet strap around the bottom of the pump support and apply a little pressure (not very much) and pull back while I try to get a thin prybar or screwdriver between the pump support and hull to break the sealant, again go slowly.
And don’t be shy with the sealant when you put it back together

Attachments

• IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 8
Appreciate the help, the previous owner put a worx intake grate on and he said the brass inserts came out with the bolts on the pump support so he just used self tappers and went through the plastic, so I will be replacing it anyway because I’m nervous about them falling out

oh I see, all the more reason to use sealant on everything, the sealant will help dampen any vibrations in the intake grate.
just use a dab of loctite on the bolts going into the pump support for the intake grate.

Yes you can do that, anything with a nylon lock nut doesn’t need it but nylon lock nuts are supposed to be replaced and not reused so if your reusing them loctite would be a good idea

I'm curious as to how all of that got so far out of alignment but are you sure you need to do all this work? I have a boat where the shaft is way off center on the thru hull. Everything looks good and I'm not messing with that. Boat has been like that since new the way I figure. I just did a good alignment and I'm letting it go. I chalk that up to Seadoo quality control. I have never pulled a ride plate and never hope to. LOL Looks like a real pain in the azz. I hope you post up the process so I can see how it's done. :D Good Luck !!

Can’t say I’m looking forward to it, if I’m really lucky there’s shims from factory on the bottom 2 studs. The ski was pretty much submerged from a c clip not on the carbon seal so I’m sure the hull was maybe tweaked a little bit but who knows. It’s very far down and I could probably get by if I put a carrier bearing in instead of the carbon seal, I probably could’ve done that, but without shims I would’ve had terrible uneven wear on the carbon seal.

I 'd be surprised if I have to do anything at all because this junk has been offset since Seadoo manufactured it. :)

Back