Tales from the Ramp - Season 01 Episode 01 - The Non Boater.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SabrToothSqrl

Well now that spring is here and it's boating season again...

Today's episode of Tales from the Ramp is brought to you by, the "non-boater".

The non-boater is someone (or often a large group of people) who is at the launch facility, who neither owns a boat, nor expects to be on one. The non-boater is often found near muddy river banks swimming in no swim areas, or fishing in no-fishing areas.

It was a bright and sunny Sunday afternoon in the dirt and gravel covered parking area adjacent to the facility broadly referred to as the PWC launch. (More on that in another episode). After an hour or so riding on an open body of water I was returning to the launch. To my dismay there was a vehicle parked partially blocking the path leading to the ramp. A dark blue Nissan sedan.

I tied my ski up near the launch to an anchor I placed there earlier. Since this is the shanty launch facility, there are no docks. I proceeded to my vehicle, backing up the trailer, narrowly missing the non-boater parked beside the ramp. When my vehicle and trailer was quite close to his, he shot me a look of disgust from his seat reclined position talking on his cellular phone. I sarcastically asked him to "park a little more in the way next time". This of course resulted in a shouting match. Because... if you are parked in the way, of course people should be nice and polite to you, right? It's the American way.

The perpetrator proceeded to exit his vehicle, all the while children apparently under his supervision played in the 'no swimming' area dragging large chunks of wood and limbs around and on to the ramp. At this point the man was standing outside my passenger door, while I attempted to use words to deescalate the situation, while simultaneously taking the safety off the pepper spray in my left hand. Luckily for all involved another group of PWC owners were in the area who assisted in loading my ski such that I could keep an eye on old shouty here. Calling 911 an officer arrived just in time to watch the person leave. I of course having given the officer a description of the man, woman, and two children, along with the vehicle and it's out of state plates. No pepper spray was discharged, and no charges filed.

Stay tuned for more Tales from the Ramp!

hahaha, I love when people who are obviously in the wrong get upset. It makes me wonder what their thought process is.

I am in airports five-days a week. I wake up every day thinking I have seen it all only to be amused that every day I am wrong. People are just simply fun to watch...

We get the "non boaters" blocking the ramp at the beach all the time. Just leisurely Sunday driving and they stop at the ramp to get out and look around or what have you. Clueless...

What really gets me is when the launch parking lot is full and you see a car parked in the "vehice with trailer" parking spots.

Happened to me this weekend, cars with NO trailer taking up the spaces for vehicles and trailers.
It never fails that get get behind the guy that has no clue what he's doing and takes an hour to load/unload his boat. It's funny to watch but drives me crazy!

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

The ramp we put in at yesterday is a one way through the lot. We pulled up to launch and there was a boat just sitting at the ramp, no trailer or anything in sight for them. I'm waiting on them to see what they're doing and another guy pulls into the lot from the wrong direction and starts backing in. I told him I was about to launch but that other boat was just sitting there and the people on the boat said "he's getting the trailer now" He said ok and pulled forward, I said ok (figuring the other person was in the lot).

Almost 10 minutes later, they pull in from the road to come get the boat out and were agitated that WE (myself and the other guy) were blocking the launch. They left their boat at the dock blocking the ramp for who knows how long waiting on someone to come get them, when there are other docks about 10 feet away to tie off if waiting. I will say that when I saw them there initially, I pulled far enough over for a second truck/trailer to fit assuming someone was about to pull them out. The second guy who came the wrong way blocked that though lol.

Etiquette and common sense go out the window at the ramp. I was surprised Mr wrong way was as polite as he was and pulled forward to wait, but for the other party to just let the boat sit there for that long waiting for someone to come get them that wasn't even in the lot while blocking others from launching is asinine, especially when there are the other docks right there.

Oh yeah, we get all the cars parks in "vehicles with trailer parking only" spots too. Ignorant.

One more thing, im sure that all of us with some common sense will undue safety straps, unhook trailer lights, install drain plugs, do pre-checks, load coolers and life vests, set up side bumpers and ropes all while waiting our turn at the ramp not when we back into the water and keep everyone else waiting!!!

Don't forget about the ones that will hold up the entire line just so they can load and launch in the lane against a dock. I typically will get out of line and pass them to load and launch from the middle while they give me dirty looks and flip me off for line jumping but I am launched/loaded and gone typically before they get their precious spot.

If they do say anything I just smile and tell them that the ramp is open and I am not waiting for them to get a specific lane.

. I sarcastically asked him to "park a little more in the way next time". This of course resulted in a shouting match. Because... if you are parked in the way, of course people should be nice and polite to you, right? It's the American way.

You know, i know the guy was an idiot, but you coulda been a little bit nicer and taken the high road. You kinda shot your self in the foot and set yourself up for what happened. Just saying

You know, i know the guy was an idiot, but you coulda been a little bit nicer and taken the high road. You kinda shot your self in the foot and set yourself up for what happened. Just saying

Chris,
I don't know how you could say that. Anybody that has been on this forum for any length of time knows what a cool even tempered, mild mannered person Sqrl actually is, putting any of the blame on him is just nuts. I wish we had a tongue in cheek icon.
:facepalm::cheers::lol:

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
No worries, I said it with a smile. :cool: I'm pretty sure anything said to this person would have resulted in the same situation...

In 35 + years of boating, I always think I've "seen it all", only to be "impressed" from time to time by some idiot.
SabrToothSqrl was MORE than nice...I'd would have (and HAVE) said much worse things...after a single, "Hey man...can you move that thing, please?" request. I have zero tolerance for stuff like this. It never, never, repeat NEVER does any good to try to be 'the nice guy'; people interpret 'nice' as 'weak'...and will bone you anyway.
Too many people are just idiots, frankly.

Good story, Sqrl! I am sure there will be many, many other tales to tell this year by our esteemed members!

There is a city park and boat launch less than a mile from my house. Depending on the tide it is anywhere from 3-7 feet in there till you go a few miles down to the main river. So it is perfect for me to test out skis I am working on there because it usually is not busy at all since mainly Jon boats put in there. It is a tight turn around down there and there is 2 lanes and a pier on each side. People are always fishing off the dock which doesn't bother me. But never fails the people fishing are too damn lazy to park in the lot 100 yards away and park in the turn around clearly marked with a no parking sign. I used to ask them to move. Now I back up the hill, call the PD non emergency line (live in a SMALL city and cops get bored) now back down the 100 yard hill and by the time I launch the cops are there. Depending on how much lip and excuses they give the cop he still writes a parking ticket. One time cops had a jeep towed with kayak racks in top....a holes launched kayaks and left it parked in the turn around. Last week I went there and a guy said as I was turning around almost hitting his truck " sorry it's hard to carry my fishing pole and tackle box down here that's why I parked here" I said yeah I know,,,it's hard for me to carry my SeaDoo from the parking lot too but that is why I drive down here, drop it off then go park where I am supposed to because I can read that no parking sign you parked in front of.

LOL, the entire situation was avoidable really. As you walked past the dude in his truck you could have just said "I'm getting ready to retrieve my ski and you're kinda blocking the ramp could you please move." Never know, dude could have apologized and said "My bad, just watching the kids swim, I'll pull out real quick". But alas, you'll never know. Guess I'm more like Reynolds. No need to drop the safety off the pepper spray. I didn't know people still carried that stuff to be honest.

A small tip, next time you see his vehicle at the ramp and he's not there. Just grab a small rock that will fit in the valve cap on his tire and is long enough to contact the schrader valve and then put the cap back on. A slow leak is a bitch, he'll find that in the AM when he's running late for work. Trust me, this works great.

Remind me to not piss off Racerxxx.
Insidious, man. Gotta write that down.

LOL, we stole the mufflers off my buddies Mustang one night while he was at the diner at 1AM. That's a long loud ride home. He just finished putting them on a few hours before, LOL. Yeah, I got a list of little crap that will piss you off. Another favorite is a wet cotton ball in between your coil and coil wire on an older car. Once the cotton ball dries up there is no continuity and you lose spark, you'll chase your azz on that one. LOL

Yea

At least it's entertaining. I'll be launching alone tonight, so I'm setting up my handheld camcorder and Go Pro in the car to film while I'm in the water... just in case anyone drops by the launch while I'm out of the area... Good times.

The actual Dash Cam I have is mounted in my other car, so it's not worth removing for this. I already had the camcorder and Go Pro. (I buy a lot of tech stuff lol).

the ramp i used to use was something like 5 or 6 wide, so a ton of people could back in, just find an opening and slide the trailer in. i've seen people back a boat across three lanes of the ramp trying to get trailer to water, it is hilarious.

my biggest annoyance was always the people that would just wander across the ramp while you're trying to back in. they walk right behind the trailer and stare at you like they had no idea that the trailer with skis on it wants to go to the water.

I've had a few interesting ramp moments, most have been shared here at one time or another so I won't bore you or wear out my fingers with a repeat:

however, my biggest complaints in general.

the fisherman (usually kids) that dont' know enough to pull their lines in when your pulling up to the dock, knowing your going to have to either go over or around their lines, annoys me but I just go around.

The swimmers that won't move when your pulling up to the ramp, (its freaking obvious you can't swim there !) Once I literally idled right through 6 of them, to pull up and the father had some words for me and I responded with, "they didn't move, this is a boat ramp" and just kept walking.

The slow loaders at the ramp that wait until the boat is in the water before loading enough crap for a full weekend on the water, and taking their sweet azz time doing it.

The ramp bullies that think they can cut around the line and get away with it, (I've had to pull forward to cut them off before which has resulted in a standstill)

The slow strollers that shuffle about .5 mph to the parking lot to retrieve their trailer thats 200 yards away, grrrr.

The "the boat won't start, lets fix it right here" peeps that completely ignore the 10 peeps in line to diagnose their engine troubles...

The drunk couples where the drunk hubby is yelling cuss words at the drunk wife who can't back the trailer down for chit at the end of the day.

And lastly, the "no I don't need help" guys that jackknife the trailer 6 times but insist they know what they are doing.... I've only had one guy accept my offer of help, and man,, he was so grateful that I backed his trailer down for him, (it had been 10 minutes and I was quietly going crazy) but at least 6-7 times i've been angrily told to mind my own business when I offer to help somebody who is Obviously struggling.

my favorites (not a complaint here, but they are great for laughs) are the "oops we didn't trim the outboard up" peeps that grind the hell out of their prop because they forgot to move the motor up,,,, I don't get mad at them, they learn their lesson that day and will likely NEVER make that same mistake again.

Good Times! Summer is getting close....

We had friends with a place in a gated community that had a private launch ramp and known as a Party Lake so on big weekends we would take chairs and go down in the evening just to watch the calamity of the drunks loading after a long day on the water. It was hilarious.

I've had a few interesting ramp moments, most have been shared here at one time or another so I won't bore you or wear out my fingers with a repeat:

however, my biggest complaints in general.

the fisherman (usually kids) that dont' know enough to pull their lines in when your pulling up to the dock, knowing your going to have to either go over or around their lines, annoys me but I just go around.

The swimmers that won't move when your pulling up to the ramp, (its freaking obvious you can't swim there !) Once I literally idled right through 6 of them, to pull up and the father had some words for me and I responded with, "they didn't move, this is a boat ramp" and just kept walking.

The slow loaders at the ramp that wait until the boat is in the water before loading enough crap for a full weekend on the water, and taking their sweet azz time doing it.

The ramp bullies that think they can cut around the line and get away with it, (I've had to pull forward to cut them off before which has resulted in a standstill)

The slow strollers that shuffle about .5 mph to the parking lot to retrieve their trailer thats 200 yards away, grrrr.

The "the boat won't start, lets fix it right here" peeps that completely ignore the 10 peeps in line to diagnose their engine troubles...

The drunk couples where the drunk hubby is yelling cuss words at the drunk wife who can't back the trailer down for chit at the end of the day.

And lastly, the "no I don't need help" guys that jackknife the trailer 6 times but insist they know what they are doing.... I've only had one guy accept my offer of help, and man,, he was so grateful that I backed his trailer down for him, (it had been 10 minutes and I was quietly going crazy) but at least 6-7 times i've been angrily told to mind my own business when I offer to help somebody who is Obviously struggling.

my favorites (not a complaint here, but they are great for laughs) are the "oops we didn't trim the outboard up" peeps that grind the hell out of their prop because they forgot to move the motor up,,,, I don't get mad at them, they learn their lesson that day and will likely NEVER make that same mistake again.

I think I deal with everyone of these people on any given weekend in the summer. lol

Some d'bag cut in front of the line last summer to drag his big ole boat out of the lake. Apparently, he did not see the huge potholes that he narrowly missed on his trip to the water. He put his boat on and forgot to trim up. After getting yelled at by one of the guys who he cut in front of (in front fo me), he got pi$$ed and floored his Escalade and boat out of the water, hitting a pothole that was at least a foot deep and the size of e manhole cover. His prop and outdrive crushed into the blacktop. I couldn't help but laugh a little, well maybe a lot. lol When I got my Doo out fo the water, the guy was stopped at the ranger station, bi*ching about the potholes. I got out and walked over to let the guy know that karma got him for his dick move at the launch. I looked at the back of his boat and it looked like stress cracks all over the back or it, but not sure.

The other people that I hate the most are the people who have had their boat in storage all winter, and they wait until the busiest day of the week, to bring it out, drop it in the water, and THEN try to see if it will start. A guy last year put his boat in at the launch (a one lane only launch facility too), as i was waiting patiently, taking my tie downs off and starting the engine. He seemed to be taking a long time, so I walk out on the dock, and he has something on the engine opened with oil pouring all in the lake. A stroll to the ranger station took care fo that situation and resulted in a ticket, for dumping oil in the lake.

Oh, and another person cutting in line last summer, ended up in a brawl that the launch. The guy who drove over the parking blocks in order to cut in line, got his ass handed to him by some little stocky guy who was waiting in line. The sheriff deputies came and took all of our statements and we all had to laugh. It was like a scene from "Boaters gone wild". lol

You have to love the idiots that back down the ramp and THEN start loading everything in the boat, untying straps, blowing rafts up, filling cools with ice etc.... They'll spend 20 minutes before even backing into the water. I see someone get cussed out every weekend for this

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

there's a lot of self centered people at the ramps for sure. a few years ago when i had the boat me and several others were floating near the ramps waiting our turn to load our boats and these idiots loaded their boat pulled forward just enough to unload the boat to their truck and proceeded. to dry it off with a towel taking their sweet ole time, i finally had to shout at them to move it as there's a place for unloading exc, there were many others po'd as well. often times i when i get to the ramp there's a boat sitting right there tied up blocking the ramp when as a rule of thumb move it towards the far end of the dock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back