01 GTX RFI Oil Tank Replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ZoSoAir

Good Day!

So I'm working on changing out the starter on my 2001 GTX RFI 787 and of course during the tear down I find other problems.

1) I had to take the Exhaust pipe off to even get to the back screw on the starter, so I will need to replace the gasket (no problem)
2) I found where Exxon parked the Valdez after the oil spill (in my ski apparently). After reading on this all signs point to the oil tank.

I've read that other people have used other similar parts to the 02 GTX oil tank but that are made into 1 piece instead of two. Can someone clue me in on a part # where I can find those?

Anyone have advice on getting the oil tank out? I've read it fairly easy going through the front, and since everything is already take apart I thought mind as well....

Thanks

image5.jpeg

The 1 piece tanks are only available used since they are from the discontinued 1996 GSX. I just saw some new homemade 1 piece ones on eBay but no clue of the quality.

There’s a number of these seamless on ebay. Be careful though, check the pictures, some are listed seamless even if the are not.
For $150 a used one vs $120 or so for a brand new is still worth it, these seamed ones are garbage.
A trick I use to get the bottom plug to seal is put a backup O-ring on that red part before I shove it in the grommet, this creates a bit more interference fit between these parts and that way it only sweats ever so slightly instead of seeping oil all the time.
If the red connector can be turned bear freely after you pushed it into the grommet, it will leak. Sealants won’t help. That backup shimmy which creates a constant “pull” against the grommet seems to be what shuts it up.

I’ve plastic welded the tank on my 2002 GTI with good success, probably fixed about 80 percent of the leak in my first attempt. If I had to do it again I would just plastic weld the entire seam. I cleaned the tank out well, then buried it with compressed air, cleaned and dried a windshield washer container, cut the container into strips about 1/4” wide ( welding rods ). Basically light the strip on fire and let the follow the seam with the drips. If you do try this method make sure whatever you use as your welding rod is the same material as your tank which I believe is polyethylene but check that because I’m just going off memory. I think it says in the manual the material of the tank

There’s a number of these seamless on ebay. Be careful though, check the pictures, some are listed seamless even if the are not.
For $150 a used one vs $120 or so for a brand new is still worth it, these seamed ones are garbage.
A trick I use to get the bottom plug to seal is put a backup O-ring on that red part before I shove it in the grommet, this creates a bit more interference fit between these parts and that way it only sweats ever so slightly instead of seeping oil all the time.
If the red connector can be turned bear freely after you pushed it into the grommet, it will leak. Sealants won’t help. That backup shimmy which creates a constant “pull” against the grommet seems to be what shuts it up.
I got the tank installed a few days ago. Its actually a nice tank without any seams. I have noticed however that the fit is not as great as the OEM. In fact, I'm thinking about taking it back out and making sure I didnt do anything wrong as it rocks from front to back and wont seat all the way down on the gas tank lip.

How in the world are you guys getting the center bungee straps put back together? I've got the front ant back, but the center is giving me fits.

Swearing helps a bit. Maybe use zip ties to loop into the hooks while wrangling them together, swear some more, and cut off them zip ties when done…
On GTX, I have taken out the glovebox to gain better access above the tank. Helps a ton.

Swearing helps a bit. Maybe use zip ties to loop into the hooks while wrangling them together, swear some more, and cut off them zip ties when done…
On GTX, I have taken out the glovebox to gain better access above the tank. Helps a ton.
I did take the front compartment out. I even lifted my big ole butt up and sat in there with my arms tucked back in for better leverage. Never did get the center straps back together. I left the zip ties connected to them. I dont feel good about it, but the front and back hooks are together.

Back