Stability of a GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrymcg

Hi guys,

Looking at getting my first PWC and have a question. I am looking at a 2007/2008 model GTI 155 SE. I really want to be able to use it regularly with my wife and 7 year old daughter, mainly in the ocean, obviously not too far out!

I have been told by a lot of friends that PWC's are a complete nightmare with 3 up, however they ride Yamaha VX Sports models.

Has anyone got any feedback on how the 2007 model GTI is likely to handle and is it safe enough for 3 people if rode sensibly??

Cheers,

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the GTI is a very stable ski, however for 3 up any ski is going to get uncomfortable, especially if you carry any gear. Have you considered a small boat, maybe a Speedster instead?

Lou

I would say it depends on what part of the ocean. I was in the keys on my old GTS (looots of buoyancy) and it beat the crap out of us just going two up in 2-3ft swells. However, the GTI is a much heavier ski, and rides higher. The more weight you put on it, the better it will cut through the waves. Despite this, comfort all depends on the conditions of the water and personal preference. How much are you willing to tolerate? I think it wouldn't be hard to find a place that rents seadoos. I would think a GTI would be a common rent ski, you should try it out. See how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at the newer GTIs if I were you. Much better hull design plus the convenience of iBR.

iBR? Really? Of all the new SeaDoo gimmicks, this one seems like the most frivolous. I've been riding skis for 10+ years and get along just fine with just simple reverse. In fact, most of my skis didn't even have that, and it was still a breeze to stop or dock them. Maybe I'm missing something, but it feels like we're getting too pampered. Afterall, these are jet skies, not space ships... If the ski comes with it, fine, but I wouldn't pay a dime extra for it.

You are missing something. My ski doesn't have it and it doesn't bother me one bit. However for a novice rider it makes a world of difference when it comes to docking.

I own a GTI 130 2011 with IBR and it is great. Call me a novice but getting around all the boats and people at the local sand bar is much more relaxing with neutral. I have not used the breaking function from full speed except to test it and it does work. The GTI is stable 2 up but you will get banged around on 2 foot seas on any ski.

IBR is fantastic and 3up is fine on a GTI if one of them is a smaller child. Not a real big difference between the GTI hulls between 2008 and 2011 and will be similar as far as riding 3 up as far as stability. IBR very helpful when riding 3 up, no large reverse lever to get in the way if you have a little one in front of you.

I've got a 08 155 se and have had 2 adults +1 small child it wasn't too bad though you're not going to get out and act a fool with the little one aboard are ya :). it does well is the chop too as far as a single rider goes. all in all I reckon it handles better then a few newer ones I have rode as well.

The newer larger skis are generally WAY more stable compared to the earlier skis.

I own a 2009 RST-X and a 2010 GTX. These two skis are like small boats and are SUPER stable.

The newer 4-tech engine skis were specifically built for stability, comfort and endurance.

The IBR as mentioned above is a very nice feature, especially for family use. If you have all three of you on the ski you will find getting to the reverse gate that is mounted on the left lower area of the seat will be hard to get to as your leg will be in the way due to sitting so far forward as all three of you are on board. With the IBR setup the button is on the handle bar.

If you can afford one of the newer skis, I think it would be a better purchase for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back