130 or 170 20/21 GTI SE

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdad

I am thinking of actually buying a NEW Seadoo. Crazy given my history. Looking at the 130 or 170 GTI SE. Looking for any feedback from anyone who as ridden one. It will be for a bigger lake (40 miles long) that has a fair amount of chop sometimes. Want some fun handling (like a 96 GTX but I don't expect it like a GSX), but mainly for cruising up the lake. So it the 170 worth the extra bucks? Is it possible to flash a 130 up to a 170 if needed in the future? If so how much?

And finally, is this the correct ski? I would also look at Yamis but have no knowledge of them.

Last edited:
Surprised no one has responded to your post. I searched long and hard at jet ski options last year and after a detailed comparison of many makes/models of what I wanted, I went with two 2020 GTI SE 170's. I'm old, and don't need to go 70+ MPH on anything, but wanted something powerful enough and playful enough, that even the adult kids and grandkids could enjoy. I specifically did not want anything with a Turbo, as the cost/benefit and maintenance of a Turbo unit is something I really wanted to avoid for my use and the extra 10MPH from a turbo just didn't justify additional cost/maintenance expense. I get 57MPH top end on the 170. Just cruising the lake, which is the majority of use, is fuel efficient and pleasant. I can go an entire weekend on the 16 Gals of gas in the tank, depending on how hard I run. I also wanted a closed-cooling system, even though I will likely only use these in fresh lake water. The 170 has proven to be a good pick for my purposes. Most bang for the buck. I'm glad I went with the 170, because it has more than enough balls and power when wanted/needed in the normal or sport mode, but can be tamed for others less experienced or with bigger balls than brains through the use of a "Learning Key" or Eco Mode, which my adult kids have affectionally called the "Beoch Key or Mode". The hull is extremely stable, yet the ski is nimble and responsive. The lake I primarily use (Lake Anna in Virginia) can be choppy at times from lots of boat traffic, and this ski handles it well thanks to the VTS and stable hull. Just trim it out based on water conditions. No regrets at all spending a little additional money for the 170 over the 130, and not having to spend a couple grand more on a turbo'd PWC.

Great post. Thanks. We are at Smith Mountain lake in Southern VA so it is big and can get choppy. Glad you like the hull on the chop. I am sure we are getting at least one 170. My wife doesn't really need power, and she like the blue (lol), which is only on the 130 this year. If we really think the other needs more power, we can flash it (but for more $). I sat on one at the dealer yesterday and will pull the trigger in early January.

Pulled the trigger on a pair of skis. One 130 SE and one 170 SE. They will be here in a couple months. Can't wait for summer!

Pulled the trigger on a pair of skis. One 130 SE and one 170 SE. They will be here in a couple months. Can't wait for summer!
I’ve got a pair of 2019 GTI 130. Going to flash them to 170 next week. Will let you know how it goes in case you want to do it to your 130

I’ve got a pair of 2019 GTI 130. Going to flash them to 170 next week. Will let you know how it goes in case you want to do it to your 130
Would appreciate it if you shared the cost of this procedure and the top speed difference.

It appears the only difference between the 130 and 170 is the color options and HP.

Seadoo's advertised price difference of the two is $600.

So, I'm curious if flashing a 130 would produce the same HP (or more?) of a 170 for the same or less price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back