...but it can buy me a boat! (TLDR: Noob)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy...We were out this weekend and it got whipped up pretty bad. No fun to be had when you pull the throttle into waves and they come over the bow and come right in.

I don’t know if I’ll fully winterize the boat this off-season or keep it in a heated garage, but regardless, I’m going to do an oil/filter/plug change. Below is a YouTube that shows some end-of-season prep with a good section in the beginning on changing oil. Below are some links to oil change kits on Amazon. I want to stick with BRP/XPS fluids and I realize there are cheaper alternatives that work just fine (plenty of threads I’ve found). Any thoughts on the other components (filter, o-rings, plugs)? I do have a dealer about 30 minutes away that carry the oil change kits and I’ll probably pick it up there to support the local shop and not the billionaire.

process looks pretty easy but a little time consuming compared to pulling a drain plug on a truck. Need to pick up an extractor too.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Doo-Chan...oo+4-tec+oil+change+kit&qid=1596718897&sr=8-4
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Doo-Chan...oo+4-tec+oil+change+kit&qid=1596718897&sr=8-7

Manual states 3L oil per change but 4.5L overall; anyone know why? Can’t get it all out even with cranking the engine a few times and pumping it out? Just curious

Attachments

• B66915D9-5F7B-46C8-886B-8856F4A14CC5.png
    B66915D9-5F7B-46C8-886B-8856F4A14CC5.png
    509.3 KB · Views: 7
It's a bit of a complicated lubrication system with a dry sump and two pumps and an oil cooler and there are many places the oil sits that you just can't get to. It's not like a typical car engine where almost all the oil settles down and sits in the pan when it's not running.

After pumping it out, you can dry crank by flooding the throttle and then get a little more out, and then repeat. Personally I don't think it's that worth it, unless maybe you are removing contaminated oil. I change the oil every season and the oil has so little wear on it I am fine with just changing two-thirds of it each time.

It's a bit of a complicated lubrication system with a dry sump and two pumps and an oil cooler and there are many places the oil sits that you just can't get to. It's not like a typical car engine where almost all the oil settles down and sits in the pan when it's not running.

After pumping it out, you can dry crank by flooding the throttle and then get a little more out, and then repeat. Personally I don't think it's that worth it, unless maybe you are removing contaminated oil. I change the oil every season and the oil has so little wear on it I am fine with just changing two-thirds of it each time.
Thanks. The video shows the dry crank 2-3 times to get a good amount out. I’ll probably try it twice and look at the oil condition. Regularly changing is the key like any ICE

Long overdue update.

Ended up putting over 45 hours on it this season. Best purchase I’ve made in some time. Great fun and family time.
Was able to use it until late September, even on Lake Michigan! Sucked up the tow rope once more but was able to pull it out. No mechanical problems; front NAV light still won’t work. I have a gremlin or something. Multi-meter shows 12V but new bulbs won’t light. The Amazon lights I got that strap onto cleats worked just fine. All in all, great season.

I got an oil change kit off amazon. Filter was torn when received but they replaced quick. Got trailer bearings and seals for rebuild on trailer.

I got wrenches for supercharger pull bc I want to rebuild. But it looks like there’s a shortage of rebuild kit parts. Anyone have more info on that?

I was thinking about reupholstering but maybe save the $1k DIY kit for next year. Fixing gelcoat and new graphics is another wish item. I’m up to $2,500 in offseason upgrades, so I’m not keen on it all. I feel maintenance and performance comes before cosmetics. But I also want a nice ride.

A tower is a big want. Not sure how hard to install yourself but looks like that’s another $1k. But would make water sports and speaker add easier.

I was able to take off the trailer guides and fit it (just barely) in my third stall. Getting ride of junk and organizing, I can get my other two vehicles in the other two stalls no problem. I jacked up the trailer and put it on jack stands so the tires don't get flat spotted sitting all winter.

I did have a chance to trailer to Florida for vacation but I chose not too. Ended up renting a
Boat while down there. I’ve read about saltwater, flushing, etc. I wasn’t up for the extra work so I didn’t bring it, but next time, I think I might bring it.
Anyhow, great season, thanks for all the input, all the info on this site, the knowledge and helpfulnesses of this community and a place we can all share our experiences

This was a fun thread to read, sounds like the boat was a good investment for you and your family like ours was (maybe not financially, but otherwise)!

Boat will be coming out of storage in a month or so, I just had my wear rings replaced, and will replace the carbon seals while I have everything apart as well.

Otherwise I'm ready for boating 2021, looking forward to reading about more of your adventures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back