Remove paint from a Galvanized trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

azirkhan

I bought a Challenger 2000 last week, the boat is in good condition but the trailer looks awful! The previous owner had hand painted the Galvanized trailer with white paint which is now pealing. I would like to remove the paint and go back to the Galvanized finish. Need advice on how to remove the paint without destroying the Galvanized finished.

That trailer is worth more as a galvanized trailer too. Painted steel isn't worth anything.

Karl

Removing paint

Just saw your post.Mate.Get a hold of a big water blaster.2500p.s.i. or more.
A good one will blast your shadow off the ground.Wont harm the galv. either.You can hire them or many marina's have them to clean the hulls of large boats.Hope this helps

Hello Mate, thanks for the advice, looks like I can rent one from a local rental outlet, it has 3500psi pressure output. Do you have experience removing paint using the pressure washer technique? sounds too easy!!

remove paint

Ha ha .3500psi.Mate .That'll take the skin of a Rhino.Yeh.I used to work at a marina and when the bigger boats came out of the water the 1st thing was to hit it with the blaster.Barnicles and any loose antifoul would come straight off.They were then clean as a whistle.A newby on the blaster would often take off the water line stripes.If you hire on a Saturday afternoon,quite often you don't have to take it back to Monday.Do the driveway and around the house if needed.;)Hope this helps

Removing paint

Thought I should tell you.For metal to protect itself,it rusts,Thats why underwater they still find old boats.Air is what accelerates the corrosion.Galvanising puts a metal coating on whatever you want.To protect itself,you see oxidisation.The white stuff you get on gal.OR rust on metal.Apples oxidise.Cut them and they go brown.So do white grapes.Its a combination of air humidity and chemicals in the air.Moisture on whatever you have,helps this process.eg fruit.and acids
Galv.will get a very thin coat of white film and dipping it in and out of the water(boat trailer) will build up this oxide.
If your trailer has been painted and not properly prepared to stop the oxidisation,there is a very thin layer of powder between the trailer and the paint.
This is why the paint on your trailer will fly off
(it's also good fun)

Just saw your post.Mate.Get a hold of a big water blaster.2500p.s.i. or more.
A good one will blast your shadow off the ground.Wont harm the galv. either.You can hire them or many marina's have them to clean the hulls of large boats.Hope this helps

Chriss, I dug up this old thread. When I first got my boat I thought about cleaning the hull with a pressure washer and was told you can't do that, it would harm the gel coat?

Just be VERY careful W/ 3500 PSI washer. That will peel your skin if you happen to shoot it at yourself by mistake. Never let the pump run for than 30 seconds without squeezing the trigger to spray, otherwise the water/pump overheats and damage will be done.

The only time I saw a waterblaster do damage was on the edge of previous damage or a bad repair.You put a boat across the water at 90mph and they is some serious waterblasting happening right there.
You start from about a yard away and move in slowly to where the job is getting done.Normally12-18 inches.There is the safety concern with the blasters but it's a bit like saying,"don't stick your hand to far into the fire."
Don't do the insides of the boat or any graphics or they will be gone.

Thought I should tell you.For metal to protect itself,it rusts,Thats why underwater they still find old boats.Air is what accelerates the corrosion.Galvanising puts a metal coating on whatever you want.To protect itself,you see oxidisation.The white stuff you get on gal.OR rust on metal.Apples oxidise.Cut them and they go brown.So do white grapes.Its a combination of air humidity and chemicals in the air.Moisture on whatever you have,helps this process.eg fruit.and acids
Galv.will get a very thin coat of white film and dipping it in and out of the water(boat trailer) will build up this oxide.
If your trailer has been painted and not properly prepared to stop the oxidisation,there is a very thin layer of powder between the trailer and the paint.
This is why the paint on your trailer will fly off
(it's also good fun)

thought I tuned in to the Mr. Science show for a second there. :) good info Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back