Need help painting steering column cover

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigJake

I need advice on painting the steering column cover for my 96 GSX which was very faded.
My first attempt was to clean it with the pictured wax and grease remover followed by cleaning with mineral spirits and painting with the pictured Krylon Paint + primer (which says it can be used for plastics and I used a couple years ago to paint my plastic mirrors, yes there are a different type of plastic...). I gave that a couple days to dry and I was able to pretty easily scrape the paint off with my finger nail. So I fairly easily removed 90% of the paint with a green scotch pad and soap (dawn) and water. Second attempt after removing the paint and cleaning with soap and water was to wipe it down with rubbing alcohol (suggested by paint guy at Ace Hardware). This time I sprayed it with the pictured plastic primer (white), allowed that to dry for 90 minutes then sprayed with the Krylon paint. Now 6 days later, again I'm able to scrape off both the primer and paint with my finger nail (see in pic where I scraped it off on the hidden edge. What am I doing wrong? Wrong prep? Wrong paint? Do I need the "Krylon for Plastic" paint, will that adhere? (with or without a plastic primer? What is the best way to easily remove the paint that is on now to repaint? I only used the Krylon Fusion because that's what Lowes had in stock when I went and it said plastic and it previously worked well on the plastic mirrors. Has anyone painted their steering cover, what prep and paint did you use? Should I have sanded the plastic before painting for better paint adherence? What grit? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_120044.jpg
    IMG_20221009_120044.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221009_120448.jpg
    IMG_20221009_120448.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221009_120508.jpg
    IMG_20221009_120508.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Mineral spirits is not going to give you a good adhesion for paint...Use lacquer thinner to remove paint or even urethane reducer and always use the wax and grease remover 2 times right before painting...It needs to go on wet and immediately be wiped off with paper towels until it is dry...let it dry off comepletely for awhile...then prime, let dry 24 hours, then use a good quality paint...the paint and primer need to be suitable for each other..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back