'98 Challenger 1800 No Start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

consentido1

I have been troubleshooting a 1998 Challenger 1800 I bought without knowing it's condition. Owner swore it ran before storing it for 2 yrs. Well... I bought it and now it looks like it was flooded, everything has water including the black electrical box with the coils both boxes! I've drained everything I can find, even cranked the engine with plugs out to get out what was in the engines. My question is they crank but don't start, plug tester shows spark but I don't hear any beeping, also gauges come on so I assume the dess key is good. Any suggestions? Could coils be bad even if tester shows spark? Sometimes tester is dim but still lights up.

So I sprayed starter fluid directly into the carbs the other day but still no-start. Spark tester lights up but I'm not sure how bright it should be. I ordered new starter solenoid and ignition coil since they were submerged in water and covered with heavy orange corrosion buildup. The new coil has excessively longer wires. Does it matter which wire goes where? Also should I cut them shorter to match the original ones? Thanks in advance, I don't get much time to work on my new found project so I do what I can when I can.

Don't use starting fluid on a 2-stroke, it removes the lubrication. A little premix is much better.

You can shorten the coil wires to the same length as stock.

Back