RESTO Put me in Seadoo Rehab...my 96 XP Custom Resto Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
[MENTION=53553]blackNyellow787[/MENTION], pm me if your interested, ill give you the guys business info. Idk maybe he would ship them or you could find a local place to do it...

Welp guys, for the first time since I have owned the ski, she is in running order!!!

[video=youtube;z2tGUoHEW6s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2tGUoHEW6s[/video]

As some of you guys know, I bought the ski and it had been sitting a few years, who knows if it was winterized, pulled a compression test but it wouldnt run, but with 150 compression I was sure I could get it going. Did all the maintanence on it....

Pump Oil
Wear Ring
Neoprene seal
Oil Filter
New oil and oil lines
New fuel lines
Cleaned the carbs
Cleaned the hull
Spark Plugs and trimmed wires

I had an oil leak from the oil return line underneath the muffler, so a couple days I had to pull that all apart and fix the leak, but now she is fixed and running like a champ. I didnt rebuild the carbs, just cleaned them, and they were a train wreck but it seems to be running good so far! Adjusted the idle to my finely calibrated seadoo ear, lol, there is no tach on this model so I just set it at about what my 97 sounds like on the trailer, and adjusted the oil pump!

Note: When you are trying to start a ski, make sure the little ground wire from the rear ebox is connected to your battery or you wont get any spark :) I swear I scratched my head for a good 10 minutes wondering why it wouldnt start, I had forgot you had to do this, my 97 XP doesnt have that ground. I guess the next step is getting some reg decals from the Doc and doing a water test!!! Still some summer left to ride!

Oh yeah, I know she looks a little smokey, I drained the old gas and put in 3 new gallons premixed at 40:1 while I bled the oil pump. It is 1000x easier that way, when the ski is running just open the oil pump arm full throttle and it will bleed to the carbs in about 10-15 seconds!!! Last time I spent 30 minutes doing it with the starter alone on my 97

Last edited by a moderator:
Im still not sure on the decals...what should I do??? I was thinking the JSG black outline with grey on the inside from Doc Honda... cant seem to find a decent carbon fiber reg decal.... :/

Im still not sure on the decals...what should I do??? I was thinking the JSG black outline with grey on the inside from Doc Honda... cant seem to find a decent carbon fiber reg decal.... :/

I'm a big fan of the black and gray cut on a curve for the XP.

21.jpg

good job man! might I recommend putting the pisser out the front side,u can use the hole for the battery vent.just so u can see it while riding.

Welp guys, got it out for the first time this season...and to my surprise, it ran absolutely GREAT! Usually I find that there are some little nagging problems, but the last two skis I bought not running have worked out great for me. Only had a few small problems,

1) When the temp sensor wire is connected, it sends out a nonstop beep! I didnt realize that it was unconnected until a pit stop check to make sure everything looked good, I reconnected it and went back out to find it chirping at me. I know that it wasnt overheating because I put my hand on the engine and exhaust right after a docking and they were all running really cool, so I may have a bad temp sensor. I have noticed it doing this on the trailer so not overly concerned, but any ideas?

2) Fuel float doesnt work so it doesnt register fuel... :/ @Minnetonka how much for a new float?

3) Put a new fuse in and the VTS worked perfectly, but I had no gauge so it was kind of hard to tell where it was set at. VTS on an X4 I found is a MUST!!!

All this being said, I had a great time out on the maiden voyage. No hesitations, no cavitation, no bogging. Just started up, idled perfect and ran great.

I will have to admit, last week I sold my 97 XP and I may be having sellers remorse, the lake today was extremely busy and right now my arms are KILLING ME! So tired, I know I wouldnt have been beat so bad around on the 97 as it just carves through the waves, and this one was fun jumping, but there is no skirting around waves on this one, you get beat up bad. I realize why you guys like hydroturf on these as well, my feet hurt from banging up against the traction mats lol. Urg not sure what to do, but I know for sure that I want a 3 seater.

I have realized from the 97 I am definitely more of a "cruiser guy", not too worried about top speed or riding on rails, 360's, and jumping wakes. I think that this winter I will open my search for a GTX, I love these 787's but honestly dont like the looks of the 97 GTX. Anyone know, I cant remember, was there a GTX or another 3 seater carb'd with a 787 that was newer than a 97?

I am so happy with the way this project turned out tho, to those out there tuning there skis listen to these guru's on this site. Use the stock settings and these skis will run perfect. I tuned it to the factory specs, didnt even rebuild the carbs, just cleaned them, and it ran absolutely perfect! Never even got it up to full throttle, I wouldnt have been able to hang on, no way!!

Haha! The X4 is not for the faint of heart. Your ski turned out great and I love that hood!! I think I may have said it before but a umi system would make this ski look mean. And if you really want to polish it off find a hump seat and have jet trim wrap it for you in something special. You did a great job seriously!

Hydraulic trim is the way to go on an X4 if you're serious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Haha thanks stunner, your right, the X4 isn't for the faint of heart. I guess the last time I rode one was senior year or High school on my buddies 97spx, that was probably 6 years ago, times have changed since then, I def like the ride if riding solo and not too much chop, but it kinda gets old when you have to leave your girl on the boat because you can't ride 2 up on the X4, that's kinda why I would like a 3 seater, not just for me but to take multiple ppl out and maybe even a tuber, not as fun for everyone if only one person can ride. Maybe ill just keep this and find a project gtx and get ride of the old reliable Yamaha...

That's a good plan. Nick on here built his girlfriend a really awesome 93 GTX you may want to consider something like that. You have to have a big ski in your respective quiver in order to cater to group enjoyment otherwise it will be you alone out there. Trust me.. I know. lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Get yourself a 96/97 gsx. It is a great seadoo. They are more stable and cut the waves better than the x4 but the are still agile enough to do 360's and play around on. They are powered by the 787 in those 2 yrs. not a 97.5 though.

Lol, yeah about that. I sold my 96 GSX earlier this spring :) it was cursed I am pretty sure tho so it left a bad taste in my mouth. Miss the 97 XP, oh well will probably just maybe get out hopefully one more time on the 96 and let it go this winter or next spring, hopefully can find a cheap 97 GTX or a newer gti with a 720, if I can hit 50mph and be comfortable I am happy. Love restoring these more than riding I think :)

Well guys, I got some sad news to say, well kinda sad pretty happy. I traded my 96 here today for a 99 SPX. Woohoo I'm happy to get the rarer ski, but I only got to ride my ski like once or twice and all that hard work gets to go to someone else now. This one will need a little bit of work, mainly cosmetic. A real good buff and wax job. The bilge is filthy and needs to be cleaned out. A couple odds and ends, maybe change out the oil as a precaution, but all in all it's a runner right now. Won't be going into full detail with this one like the other one, won't pull the engine as it was recently aligned this last summer. Has a new OEM carbon seal, new OEM wear ring, new OEM carb kits, has black fuel lines already, had a new counterbalancer at one point as well. My only concern was it has about 140 compression, will probably tackle that job only if I get a melt down, but overall not too concerned. Just needs a little elbow grease and she should clean up pretty well. I traded straight across for this one, mine was obviously in better shape and had 150 compression, but the 99spx is a rarer ski. Overall I'm super pumped, I can't believe I have like 5 more months tho until I can even think about riding. Has a new VTS, new VTS boot, the hump seat is the original dark charcoal gray and in premo condition, not a single scuff or rip.

Won't be diving into this probably until it warms up quite a bit, it wasn't winterized yet. Just threw some some antifreeze and fogged it and threw it in the garage.

It was a funny story, the guy had the ad on Craigslist sayin he was looking for a 3 seater and was tryin to sell for 1500 with no trailer.

I talked to him and asked him if he was interested in a trade, he said no, he was looking to he out of an x4. When he said x4, I was like, this guy must know seadoos. I asked him if he was on a forum, he said yeah greenhulk and pwctoday. It was nice dealing with a guy who actually knew how to maintain these skis and how to do it the right way. I showed him this thread and he seemed impressed and could tell I wasn't just the average seadoo owner. It was nice dealing with a guy who knew everything g about the ski, how to maintain it the "right way", and it made me feel a lot better knowing all that the stuff had been done right and that I was getting a quality ski as well, since I was giving one away as well.

Here are some pics
207.jpg
208.jpg
209.jpg
210.jpg
211.jpg
212.jpg
213.jpg
214.jpg
215.jpg
216.jpg
217.jpg
218.jpg
219.jpg
220.jpg
221.jpg
222.jpg
223.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a great start. Thanks for all the pics. I kinda felt like the devil on your shoulder, lol. I can't wait to pick it up from you.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
No!!!! No more this is my 4th main rider ski in less than 6 months lol. I just need to stick with one before I buy a dud haha

Racer! Ill trade you straight up for your 96! :)

No!!!! No more this is my 4th main rider ski in less than 6 months lol. I just need to stick with one before I buy a dud haha

Racer! Ill trade you straight up for your 96! :)

Ok, your driving to do the swap, I keep my seat.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back