RESTO Put me in Seadoo Rehab...my 96 XP Custom Resto Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a little work done on her today...

I decided to trim around the decal on the front there, just because I think it is worthwhile to keep if I ever lend it out to my family or let one of my dummy buddies ride it...

Also as you can see, I have some work to do in the bilge area. Im thinking about just pulling everything out, and cleaning it up real good. It will probably just be easier that way and I can get it real clean instead of trying to get a small brush in there.

I will also have to check and see if the gas tank has been replaced under recall....

Yup Im going to have to go over the JSG How to Buff your Hull bible before I tackle this one...I have never wetsanded before and not exactly sure where I want to start. I need to re-gel that spot on the front, either that or I might put my state sticker over it and call it good! Also not exactly sure if I want to pull the engine and all the internals to get it cleaned or just throw a quick powerwash on it and ride it this summer...Im leaning towards the pull everything and just do it right as I still have the 97 to ride this summer, although I want to get this one going as soon as I can

You really dont have to pull everything out if you have a good power washer and some super clean. Go over it a couple times and it will look like new inside.

Yup Im going to have to go over the JSG How to Buff your Hull bible before I tackle this one...I have never wetsanded before and not exactly sure where I want to start.

I never had either before last weekend, mine came out well. I used 1500 grit and a spray bottle of water. Lay down newspaper on the ground because it makes a mess.

You'll be surprised how many marks it takes out, I had a nasty stain from from gasoline mixing with registrations stickers (I think) that no chemical I tried would remove and in less than 5 minutes of sanding it was gone.

If it was me, I would not remove the engine just to clean it but I'm a novice.

Yeah I have pulled them before, it really isn't a problem for me. Plus I really need to do a full service and check everything out i.e. clean oil tank out as it has some nice blue tcw3 in it, probably replace the fuel tank, I'm going to replace all the hoses/oil lines/ fuel lines. I don't have a power washer so I will probably just go to the DIY car wash down the street and clean it out there lol. Plus I have to repair the exhaust because I can feel a small hole in the casting so I will have to get it welded

Little bit more done day by day, engine and everything else will be out by tomorrow afternoon!

First off, is this wired correctly???

This is why you dont use red locktite on your pump nuts...

Dirty carbs...I usually do them myself, but I will probably send these to Doc Honda

Will get the pipe welded up for insurance even tho it doesnt look to be leaking, and then will probably paint the entire exhaust system...

Alot of people have asked about the copper ring on the exhaust, here is what it looks like...

Exhaust and carbs off...

Okay, I got some questions about this impeller, I dont really remember what the trailing edge is supposed to look like, and i cant tell if this one is bent or not. The wear ring is really tight on this one as well, so hopefully the impeller is fine and ill just change out the oil ...

Let me know what you think about this impeller

Wow that is dirty!!!! The impeller you might have to send to sbt for exchange program! 60 bucks and you get one that looks new!

So I tried pulling the motor, but it seems the driveshaft is siezed in the pto. Not sure if it just needs a good greasing or what but I tried to pull on it for 20 minutes with no luck

Well, havent gotten too much done. I tried to get the engine out, but the pto seems to be seized in there. I will try and grease it and hope it comes out. Anyways, got a little craigslist find today. Found a guy selling a 97 Spi on craigslist, pretty much dismantled with all of the parts which has been setting for 10 years. He was asking 200. I offered him 100 and went and picked it up. I didnt want any of the parts on it really, except for the single gauge hood it had. So I ripped off the hood, and I got a buddy (Live2Ride over on PWCToday) who said he would buy it from me for that tomorrow. So basically I got a free hood (minus gas to pick it up), I just gotta get it painted up now and figure out what gauge I want to put in there...

I think it will fit, right???

Anybody got any paint tips, ahem [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] lol

Just go to a local paint shop(auto paint) and tell them you are painting plastic similiar to a bumper. They will be able to put the paint into rattle cans for you. You will need a adhesion promoter,flexing agent and a plastic paint then clear coat. If you use kyrlon fusion it will look cheap. That stuff is fine for basic things like gas caps and vent but for your hood you may want a higher quality look. The only reason I am pointing you towards using rattle cans is the we have wil cost around $300 for everything you would need, but you are only painting a hood so you will not need as much. So the cost will probably be $100 for what you need. They will be able to mix any color you want with high quality paint. The prep work is what is really important. You will need to wet sand the entire surface then wash it. Then wipe the entire hood with acetone a few times to make sure any wax or other chemicals are cleaned off. Oh yeah that hood will fit just fine.

Watch this video, follow those steps and it will turn out great.

[video=youtube;TuJnjN7QqBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJnjN7QqBc[/video]

Well FINALLY, after an hour or two of staring up the rear end of the ski trying to pull the driveshaft out, i finally got it out. I had greased it a little bit at the beginning in hoping it would loosen the splines then i could pull it out. It didnt work, then i just put the grease gun back on it and pumped about 10 full squirts of grease in there until it eventually just pushed the driveshaft out!!!

So after that ordeal, I finally was able to pull the engine out, the gas tank, oil tank, and pretty much everything else. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the rest of everything else out and clean it up. Here are the before pics! Hopefully in the next couple days I will have the after pics

Like I promised....

First I cleaned up the outside of the hull. Im thinking about holding off on doing the exterior work until I get the inside work all done and I get it water tested.

And then I got the inside done...

Looks great, and I like the tasty billet finger throttle. Aren't you glad I told you to keep it.

Yup I am glad I kept it. And now just sold the GSX ($1,100 not what I was hoping for but oh well) so now I got some spending money for this project! Oh btw, I love that yellow rub rail insert in your HX. I am really thinking about doing it on this XP.

Oh also found out that the gas tank had already been replaced under recall, so there is another win

Hi , congrats looks like mine when I first got it . Cleaned up nice inside well done , I found it a real pain to get rid of the last oil residue from around the back inside as it drains out so slowly .
Cheeky to ask I know but would it be possible to ask you to look at the 3 wires coming from the back of your dess post and tell me what colour goes to A B and C on the multi plug ?
Why do you guys like the single gauge front cover so much ? 3 gauges looks better doesnt it ? Lol

Back then I loved the mirror hood. Now nothing looks better to me than a single gauge hood painted black with a umi system and a jet trim seat. Makes the ski look angry. After all, X4's are meant to be race skis.

Cleaned up the engine the other day...also disassembled the carb's to see what they looked like...

Id say this thing was about good for 1/2 a ride more before the engine exploded. Im lucky I got this before it robbed the 150 compression it still had.

Well, im a little dissappointed that I havent been able to update for a little while. I am currently in the midst of starting a new job after looking for a while, and it is kind of hard to justify spending money on expensive boat parts when you have little income coming in. I have slowly been checking items of of the list that I still need to do.

I basically at this point need to order a carb rebuild kit and a new wear ring to finish it up at least mechanically.

I have a single gauge hood that I think will blow you guys out of the water when it is finished, but I am keeping that under wraps for the time being to make sure I can get it the way that I want it at a reasonable cost, should look killer!!!

Here are a few more pics, I guess I could probably install the engine now, it is ready to go pretty much. But I recently have put in a new working VTS, replaced the start/stop button. Brand new fuel lines and selector, new oil lines and filter inclluding cleaning out the oil and fuel tanks...

Im going to take the easy way out and not paint the eninge or the exhaust....just too much work plus im not a professional painter by any strech of the imagination.

I am also still petrified of buffing and wetsanding the entire hull. I did go to harbor freight and buy the sandpaper and block, but still nervous. I think I bought 500, 1000, and 1200 grit wet/dry paper. Should that be good enough for sanding?

I want this thing done so I can ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back