RESTO Put me in Seadoo Rehab...my 96 XP Custom Resto Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also still petrified of buffing and wetsanding the entire hull. I did go to harbor freight and buy the sandpaper and block, but still nervous. I think I bought 500, 1000, and 1200 grit wet/dry paper. Should that be good enough for sanding?

It's easy, if you want to build up your confidence try it by hand on the underside first. The only way you could really screw something up is by hitting the decals and most of yours are gone already anyway. Judging by your pictures your hull is so clean I don't know that you even need to wet sand, you could just go to polishing....maybe start with the 1200.

I use the 500 or 600 on the nasty sun faded gel coats or to remove decal tan lines, stuff like that. Like this (yes that is flame duct tape over a cup holder hole)

Attachments

• Speedster4.jpg
    Speedster4.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Speedster5.jpg
    Speedster5.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
Haha it's nice you think the ski is clean, but the far away shots don't show all if the scratches it had on it, and there are a lot if them...especially on the underside of the hull, the foot rails and by the front registration numbers

Welp, finally got up the courage to do some wet sanding, i was extremely pleased at the results of it and it really wasnt too scary once I started and got going. I really had a ton of scratches on this thing, it was like it spent its entire life tied up to a dock on a busy lake. I started with 500 grit wetsandpaper, then moved up to 1000 and then 1200.

Finished it up with this process of waxes/compounds. It was stuff I had lying around the garage as I didnt really want to go buy anything. I think it turned out great for myself, but it probably isnt [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] quality of work as there are still a few faint scratches but 1000x better than before, especially this being my first time ever wetsanding anything. I only did the the top half as I am going to leave the bottom until winter because it needs a little gel cote work and I just want to do it all at once...

After wetsanding...

From left to right is the order I went to finish up...

Here is what I used to apply it

After Pics

Engine is in, hope to put it in the water within the next two weeks, still need to connect all of the lines, put new wear ring in, align it, and other miscellaneous stuff as well as getting the hood done. Cant wait for yall to see it, it should be a totally new method of people doing their hoods that hopefully should turn out awesome...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I don't but I know a guy who lives about a half hour From me who does so I'm just going to go over there and do it. Not too much left to do may have to try and fire it up tomorrow, just bought a new gallon of xps2 for it!

We just bought 3 gallons over the weekend and got raped, $145. We were in a rush and the only place open has it at the highest price. We can get it for $25 cheaper. Actually 6 gallons were bought but 3 werenot for us.

Yeah my local dealer he would sell it to me for $127 after taxes but I couldn't justify buying 3 gallons, although now that I have two XPs I probably should have seeing that this one gallon cost $47

Urggghhhhhhh. I was hoping no one would ask, I called the guy who is working on it and it still hasnt been finished yet. Hopefully by the end of next week

Great looking ski for the price!! I wish I had that trailer hahaha.

I have that same exact trailer ! Great deal congrats on your persistance it payed off. I had a guy contact me with 2 1992 running XP's no trailer with new batteries telling me he would accept my offerbof $700 cash. I have 9 skis now so I need to sell some 1st

Well, im a little dissappointed that I havent been able to update for a little while. I am currently in the midst of starting a new job after looking for a while, and it is kind of hard to justify spending money on expensive boat parts when you have little income coming in. I have slowly been checking items of of the list that I still need to do.

I basically at this point need to order a carb rebuild kit and a new wear ring to finish it up at least mechanically.

I have a single gauge hood that I think will blow you guys out of the water when it is finished, but I am keeping that under wraps for the time being to make sure I can get it the way that I want it at a reasonable cost, should look killer!!!

Here are a few more pics, I guess I could probably install the engine now, it is ready to go pretty much. But I recently have put in a new working VTS, replaced the start/stop button. Brand new fuel lines and selector, new oil lines and filter inclluding cleaning out the oil and fuel tanks...

Im going to take the easy way out and not paint the eninge or the exhaust....just too much work plus im not a professional painter by any strech of the imagination

You do NICE WORK. Cant wait to see the hood and some cool grafix on that thing ! Keep up the good work

well guys, the time has finally arrived. I got the hood back today......and it looks friggin amazing. Here are some of the tons of pics i got on it today, it is just loosely placed in this pic. THe ski is almost ready to go, im trying to chase down and oil leak, and then put the driveshaft in and start it up and see what happens. EEEkkkk, the hood looks so good, now i gotta eventually do the handlebar pad mod and a new seat cover, i may even get the rear handlebar pad dipped as well. For those of you interested, the process that was done here is called Hydrographics, they do it to guns all the time. They dip the object in a liquid film that attaches to the object, let it dry and then he clear coated it so it is basically as sturdy as car paint. Im super stoked the way it came out!!

Someone found a guy who would hydro dip!!!!!! If anyone is interested, hydro dipping is not outside the realm of the average joe. I just dipped some ar-15 parts for someone. Not my favorite choice of colors or patterns (skulls over neon pink) but it wasnt my choice. The biggest issue is having the equipment to spray the paint and clear under / over the dip.

Its a fun product I encourage everyone to give it a shot.

So who knows how to wire up a single gauge hood? I am wanting to use the multifuntion gauge in the hood, and maybe a few other guages on like the dash by the dess key. But all of the other connectors for the other gauges have to stay in the hood because they are all connected together it looks like. Am I missing something here??? [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] ...im sure you all know better than me. Calling the gurus before i put it all together...

Thats beautiful what did that cost?

Well I got the hood for free from a ski I stripped it off, and the whole process cost me $150 including the dip and the clear coat. He said it would be $120 if I wanted a matte finish...

As far as i know im the first one that tried it on a seadoo hood...

Seadoosource has a chart on gauge similarities. The wire colors usually stay the same over the years and identify function. You will need a pin tool if you do not have one. That hood looks great. I love that rare trigger throttle and block off plate also.

I have the multi-gauge in my hood and I put all the wires up in there. You will need to do some wiring to get it right if you want gauges by the DESS post. Since the elephant ear hoods have two holes for the wires to pass through you have to drill an extra hole in the single gauge hood, but since mine was an original yellow one I made all the wires pass through the one hole and I have a spool of large shrink tubing that I put around the wires. I do have 2 plugs that I tied up in the hull that went to the other gauges, IIRC. You need the pin extractor to remove the pins from the plugs to do it either way. I'll have to check in the AM to see if I can figure out how I did it, one of the few projects I forgot to take pics of.

The hood looks saweeet BTW! That gloss looks better than the matte finish.

Man that thing looks AWESOME !! I See why you guys get rid of the elephant ear triple guage hood it looks so much cleaner when you put the single gauge on there, I am not a big fan of the mirrors on the hood of a XP

I just noticed the title of this thread (getting old) Seadoo Rehab ! I purchased this entire ski just bcuz the hood is mint and mine is faded and cracked on my GSI
320.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back