RESTO Put me in Seadoo Rehab...my 96 XP Custom Resto Thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CReynoldsMIZ

You guys are sick in the head, really. I mean it from the bottom of my heart. You guys are all cool over here on your X4 thread making us non X4 guys feel so uncool. We got [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] throwing out X4 restores like beads on mardi gras, [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] showing off all his fancy restoration skills on his 96 XP and HX. We got [MENTION=59515]suke[/MENTION] who has one of the nicest restores in recent memory with his 96 and his fancy decals and detailing skills. We got [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION] with a great looking original 96, and then the king of skis [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] with every ski under the earth, and jumping waves with his X4's like the water was on fire.

How is a guy not supposed to get jealous and spend every waking moment on craigslist looking for a great deal on an X4 when he feels inadequate and wants to run with the big boys. Sure the 97 XP restore I just finished looks great, and I hardly have any money in it and it runs great, but you guys gave me the sickness and it is hitting me hard.

After hours and hours and days and weeks and months, my searching is finally finished (famous last words....). Last night, the craigslist gods looked down on me. It was about 11:00pm and I was doing my nightly search in the "Boats" section of the local CL ad, and some guy posted the title "97 Yahama Jet Ski-$800". I was like, first he spelt yamaha wrong, but I look at all the ski ads anyways so I clicked on it and was expecting to see some crappy waveblaster or kawasaki, but what should my wondering eyes did appear was a 96 Seadoo XP. I was quickly taken a back, as this was by far the cheapest one I have seen on my local ads anytime lately.

So I sent him an email since he didnt have a phone number, and that was only about 15 minutes after the original posting listed. I had a restless night of sleep hoping I wouldnt yet again miss out on a deal, as this has happened a few times lately. What do you know I get a text message at about 9 am saying he could show me at 1pm saying that I was the first one to contact me and he wanted to work with me. I got there a few minutes early, and looked around before he got home. I had finally been the first one to see it, and I knew it was coming home with me. It hasnt been ran in 2 years he said, and he didnt even have a charged battery because he didnt think it would sell so fast. Luckily, I have learned to bring a charged one with me. It didnt start, but like I said it hasnt been run in 2 years and im not even sure how much gas was in there.

I ripped out the compression tester, got the two beeps, and after I saw it burst right up to 150 in each lung, I pretty much handed him the money and hooked it up and left. After a sort of nerve racking drive highway drive on what sounded like shitty bearings on the trailer I got with it, I pulled into the car was to wash some of the grime away. Here were the after pics...

Here is my tow rig...

Also came with this nice cover....

For $800 including the trailer and cover and ski, I got two beeps and the starter turned the ski right over, 150lbs compression, and not too terribly bad cosmetically except for the tiger that swiped the front fiberglass, I didnt think that I could go wrong.

This will not be an OEM restore...im planning on keeping the inside stock while tricking out the outside.

New sponsons, im thinking black and yellow color scheme, single gauge yellow hood.

Give me a few months but this thing should turn out SICKKKKKK. Im pumped!

Looks good and a good price too. The trailer look nice also. Now all you have to do is check for spark and clean the carbs and hopefully she will start up for you.

LOL, NICE!!!!!!!! Welcome to "Club No Rehab". I have more than I can handle yet I still look daily on CL.

I know the GSX is now on the chopping block, hope that sells tonight for ya.

Nice find when I got my gsxl I couldve got a 96 xp cheaper (same owner)but I didnt know any better I just wanted to go fast. Came to fourm and kept seeing x4 realized I had to have one so I got one. Now that it has new mats vts seat ses engine pretty much everything I know what the bracket newer style handlebar cover single guage hood. I agree with you all the way. Sad thing is ive only rode mine once

Wow great score! Besides bearings the trailer looks good and ski looks better than 800 bucks...subscribed!!! One thing... No engine pics??? Come on ;)

Oh I will try and get the engine pics tomorrow...it is FILTHY tho. Almost thinking about tearing out the engine so I can give the engine bay a thorough cleaning... at least I will have the 97 to ride until this one is ready to go!

Cool stuff man! Looks like a good find. How in the heck did he think it was a Yamaha?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NICE! Looks good, and the trailer looks pretty good too. For $800 that's a steal. I paid that much for just my ski.

Cool stuff man! Looks like a good find. How in the heck did he think it was a Yamaha?

Lol I have no idea. He was selling both of his skis, he had like a Yamaha 1100 Triple big azz 3 seater for sale also and maybe he got confused. His wife was the one who actually made the ad and the prices so I think that worked in my favor.

By the time he got there, he was like "if I had 10 of these I could sell them all today". Then when we were talking and trying to get it started he had like 2 or 3 phone calls as well. Lol I was going to try and negotiate but I didnt want him to back out and raise his price at that point

$800 and 96 xp must be the lucky number.

Suke 96xp $800
Creynoldmiz 96xp + trailer $800
Me 2 96xp + 2 place trailer $800
:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

322.jpg

If I had a nickel for every mis-identified seadoo I'd, well, have a lot of dough. All day long I especially see a 96 GTX identified as a
97 and even a 98.

$800 and 96 xp must be the lucky number.

Suke 96xp $800
Creynoldmiz 96xp + trailer $800
Me 2 96xp + 2 place trailer $800
:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

322.jpg

Are you trying to kill me??? Now i have to one up your deal! Lol jk i dont think that would ever be possible...that is borderline theft

Man you got a great deal. I would buy your deal in a heartbeat. I am betting everyone on here looking for a 96 xp right now is jealous of your find.

No I know, and Im DONE buying for the forseeable future now. I really dont have any business having two skis right now, let alone the 3 I have. :)

No I know, and Im DONE buying for the forseeable future now. I really dont have any business having two skis right now, let alone the 3 I have. :)
^^^^^^^ya,right^^^^^^
nice deal on the xp! just re-read your 97xp build last night.very nice.
but....let us know IF you are able to stay away from craigslist,good luck! you sir,are HOOKED!
i have 4 skis now,and i search once an hr for a gsxl, i GOTTA have one!

Oh yeah, I have been hooked on craigslist for about 8 years or so...I think it all started when I was looking for my first car. It went downhill from there. There have been 3 ATV purchases (2 Kawis [Im a kawi atv guy], and one POS Arctic cat I bought as a project and sold as one as well), and I think im up to 4 Seadoo purchases (96GSX, 96XP, 97XP, 98SPX), and a few John Deere's. It just never ends... :)

Very good deal buddy...little rough around the edges but otherwise a dang good steal. Well until JSG showed up. Those better not run JSG!!!

They did not when we picked them up, but one only needed a stator and one needed a starter. My buddies uncle got them for free, they were not running. He did not want to mess with them and sold them to us. Once in a lifetime deal. Took us all of 3 hours to have them running. The trailer is mint too.

You guys are sick in the head, really. I mean it from the bottom of my heart. You guys are all cool over here on your X4 thread making us non X4 guys feel so uncool. We got [MENTION=51350]Jetskigoodies[/MENTION] throwing out X4 restores like beads on mardi gras, [MENTION=57920]racerxxx[/MENTION] showing off all his fancy restoration skills on his 96 XP and HX. We got [MENTION=59515]suke[/MENTION] who has one of the nicest restores in recent memory with his 96 and his fancy decals and detailing skills. We got [MENTION=16022]Dr Honda[/MENTION] with a great looking original 96, and then the king of skis [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] with every ski under the earth, and jumping waves with his X4's like the water was on fire.

AHAHAHAHA!! Love it. Yep that's me too, reading about all these projects people do on here and searching craigslist all the time for an X4. I've even gone one step further and stop by Nick's (Minnetonka4me) shop to talk skis.

Oh yeah, I have been hooked on craigslist for about 8 years or so...I think it all started when I was looking for my first car. It went downhill from there. There have been 3 ATV purchases (2 Kawis [Im a kawi atv guy], and one POS Arctic cat I bought as a project and sold as one as well), and I think im up to 4 Seadoo purchases (96GSX, 96XP, 97XP, 98SPX), and a few John Deere's. It just never ends... :)

Great score but why were you looking for an X4 if you already have a 1998 SPX? That is an X4.

Sorry, I had a 98 SPX. I bought it for $200, stole the rave valves off of it and a couple small pieces and sold it for 300 lol. It had been caught on fire, burnt all the wiring, an he flipped it to put it out leaving the engine full of water for 3 months so yeah I didn't want nothing to do with it :)

That sucks to have lost a 1998 that way. Now I undestand why you were looking... I bought a 1996 too but had no interest in it at the time, it was just a good deal. Now after following all these threads I can't wait to get it back together and ride it too. As of now my favorite is still my 1997 I sold like yours years ago so we will see how the 1996 is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back