On 3rd rusted starter solenoid...what?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigwilliejoe

Bought a Sea-Doo Challenger with two 717 engines. immediately one of the starters Failed. I removed it and the solenoid was completely rusted so I went and bought another starter and replaced it. I ran it a few times and then put it away for winter. Came back this spring and was going to run it again, but the starter failed again, solenoid completely rusted!

What is going on?

Solved

Thanks
BJ

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of water do you cruise this in? What kind of storage precautions/cleanup do you do after using boat?

I use a nice thick seal of marine bearing grease on my starter to engine block surface to prevent water ingress.

Rob

Solved ?
Sweet

Let us know what outcome was. Helps others get quick answers when researching on forum

Rob

I think he had his terms incorrect, I think hes talking about rusted starter bendix.

The reason why?? Theres water in the mag housing. take the front cover off and get it dry before putting another starter in there.

Seeing as you have ran it like that for so long..its only a matter of time before the engine comes apart. The water builds up rust on the crank which tears up the crank seal. Once that happens then that rusty water goes into the crank bearings and sooner that later it blows up, or seizes.

I think he had his terms incorrect, I think hes talking about rusted starter bendix.

The reason why?? Theres water in the mag housing. take the front cover off and get it dry before putting another starter in there.

Seeing as you have ran it like that for so long..its only a matter of time before the engine comes apart. The water builds up rust on the crank which tears up the crank seal. Once that happens then that rusty water goes into the crank bearings and sooner that later it blows up, or seizes.

Yes, bendix, my mistake. I wasn't aware that there was no scuttle hole in the bell housing. I will correct the issue. I'm not sure if I can get the housing off in the boat engine compartment. I will check it out.
Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back