95 xp 717 starter barely touching flywheel at rest

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

crackenzag

Hey guys. 95 xp 717. Was out riding and all was well. Been riding on and off all day. Went to start her up at the end of the day and it started, ran for about 2 minutes and died. Then no crank. Click, but no crank. Got her home and found the crank wouldn't turn. Removed the top end and no signs of problem. Removed the stator cover so I could put a wrench on the flywheel by to turn it over and it turns over, albeit very hard. Can hear rubbing behind the flywheel. Remove the flywheel and found that the starter had remained engaged in the flywheel about 1/4". This was an aftermarket starter so I got it all cleaned up and turn over smooth as butter. I still had the original starter, so rather than get another crappy aftermarket one, I put a new set of brushes in the OE one. Went to bolt it back up and it's doing the same thing, the flywheel is just barely touching the starter teeth. I checked for crankshaft end play, like maybe the crank moved back on me bringing the flywheel closer to the starter. No back and forth play in the starter whatsoever. I rechecked my work on the starter. It's good. Bendix moves freely and seems to retract all the way and since it was doing the same with the other starter, I really don't think it's a starter issue.

"LIGHT BULB"

ok so I figured it out as I am typing this... Crank is good, starter is good. Flywheel is pressed on good. RING GEAR! Pulled the flywheel off again and bingo. The ring gear had slipped about 1/4" or so on the flywheel... What the actual hell... I've seen this on cars but never thought I'd see it on my ski. Anyway. Thanks! Maybe this will help someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back