Spark, fuel no start, starter engages and disengaging. 98 gti 720

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Martin007

Hey all,
Just bought a used 98 gti. Guy said it needs a starter and included one with the sale. Can't seem to start the dsmn thing . Starter engages and disengaging constantly while trying to start. Put a new starter in and cleaned the ground on the starter and same issue.
Compression is at 130 psi on both cylinders . Spark plug are wet with fuel and have spark coming from plug when grounded to block. Seems like it wants to fire but not before the starter disengage. Also put in a new starter solenoid thinking it could be that.
Almost at a lose here. Took off the stater/flywheel cover and it looks like it has oily water or gas in it? Can't seem to take off the stator housing /flywheel with the puller ...
He said he had it running in June. Wonder if it old gas but even then the starter should not disengage i would think ?
Tried 3 different batteries as well thinking it might be a bad cell since who knows and tried boosting to no avail.
Any ideas where to go next ?

That is almost always a sign of a bad battery or bad cables since you already eliminated the solenoid and starter.
Basically the voltage spins the starter but as soon as it gets a load from trying to start the engine the voltage drops and is starts again.

Does it crank over fast with the plugs out?
Does a bunch of liquid shoot out when cranking it with the plugs out?

That is almost always a sign of a bad battery or bad cables since you already eliminated the solenoid and starter.
Basically the voltage spins the starter but as soon as it gets a load from trying to start the engine the voltage drops and is starts again.

Does it crank over fast with the plugs out?
Does a bunch of liquid shoot out when cranking it with the plugs out?
Yes cranks fastet I would say with the plugs out but does the same thing. Engages and disengages.
Yup fuel shooting out with them out.
Can even get a a sec or two of cranking before it cuts out.
I might try my automotive battery and jumper right to the starter to eliminate anything in between

Do not ever use a jump pack or a running vehicle. You can use a 12V car battery with jumper cables but that is it.
I am suspecting bad cables or connections.
It also sounds flooded with fuel and oil.

Ok. Found out the start / stop button is the issue.
Now I have no spark!!
Anybody know the specs for the stator. Getting close to 5k ohms on the black and black/red . Tried searching online it seems like it should be around 300 ohm ? Then others says 10k to 15k ohms. Hard to find much info on these 720 motors. This should be the trigger coil. And the yellow wires i get like .5 ohms so I think those are ok ?

Back