1999 GSX LT white smoke from starter HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1999GSXLT

Hey guys!

I have been through hours of forums and videos but can't find anything like what is going on with this situation...I have a 1999 gsxlt with the 951 that I bought a few days ago for $700. Took about 20 seconds/ several attempts to start and will die at idle but ran great once it fired up. Compression was 125 in both cylinders. I Figured I'd just clean the carbs at some point and it would be fine. I ran it all day on Saturday, turned it off for 20 seconds and when I tried to start it again it turned over several times, didn't start...kept trying and all of a sudden THUD/CLICK and nothing!

Towed her back on the to the trailer. Thought the battery was dead so I charged it up and it was reading 12.6. I reconnected the battery and all I got was ONE CLICK/Thud, a little sizzle/ small amount of white smoke coming from the starter. Next try, I saw a little smoke coming from the + terminal on the battery. I tightened the + terminal connection on the battery and it started smoking again from the starter... I did the screwdriver trick on the starter relay and got a spark but no turning over or anything, so I'm guessing the starter pooped out.

My question is... do you think the + connection attaching to the starter could be shorted out or something before I go through the TIGHT process of removing/replacing the starter completely? If so, what is the best way to eliminate a wiring issue? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Ty

Could just be the selenoid,,,or….too much current draw in the starter,,,take a connector directly from the positive of the starter to the battery,,,and see if you still get the smoke?,

Pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand before you do anything else. You need to verify something isn’t locked up.

Then it’s smoking because the starter has an internal short or the connections and/or cables are bad causing huge resistance and thus smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back