95 GTX Starter wont turn

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

caron2121

It's my second year of owning a 95 GTX 657 Rotax Sea-doo. Last year I had no problem for the whole summer. This year when I de-winterized it, it didn't want to start. When I pressed the starter switch with a fully charged battery, It didn't make any sound (no solenoid sound and no starter sound, just the "click" from the switch it self). That day I removed the battery, opened up the PMEP (I think that's what it's called), check the fuses, they where all good but one was loose so I reinserted-it. Closed Everything up, reinserted the battery and it started. When I insert the key, I can hear the two BIP tone.

Since then, I have replace the oil pump because the old owner converted it to pre-mix and I didn't like that. Change the oil filter, and gas line because they were the grey one. I finished changing everything and when I when to start it, it had the same problem. I hear the two BIP tone, and nothing else when I press on the start switch.

As per usual I read everything on this matter on this forum and I didn't find anything that was my problem. I have watch numerous Youtube video. I am not the most experienced with electrical stuff but I have checked everything that I have read to check online.

I have checked that the 5amp and 15 amp fuse have continuity.

My first thought was a bad starter solenoid, but I have read that when its a bad starter solenoid, I should hear something like a CLICK from the solenoid which I don't hear. To test the solenoid what I did was take a screwdriver and touch the two lead and the starter turn right up. With my multimeter I confirmed that the solenoid received voltage from the battery side and nothing was outputting on the other side when I pressed the start switch.

After that, I checked the starter switch for continuity which everything was fine.

I have read the service manual numerous time and nothing seems to diagnose my problem, I looked at the wiring diagram to try and solve my problem but that didn't work.

What makes me think it's not the starter solenoid, it's that it did the same thing 1 week ago when I de-winterized it like I mentioned above and it ran after giggling the fuses. Is it possible that I have a loose connection somewhere that is causing this issue?

For good measure I ordered a starter solenoid because it's relatively cheap. But I wanted to try my luck here because I know some of you are very experienced with Sea-doo.

Sorry for my atrocious English, it's not my first language.

IF you are getting power to the solenoid and it doesn't start. And the starter cranks when jumping the solenoid large battery cable lugs then the solenoid is bad.

Thank you, is there any reason I don't hear the CLICK from the solenoid that everyone talks about when the solenoid is bad?

Well if it is bad it might not click either.

The "click" is the solenoid inside moving to make contact with the high voltage lugs which might not make contact and the solenoid is bad. But if the solenoid coil is bad it will not move, will not "click" and also will not contact the high voltage lugs.

Thanks for the information, I will be waiting patiently for the solenoid to arrive!

I will post the result when it's installed!

I installed the new solenoid and still no crank... Do you have any ideas of what I should check?
IF you are getting power to the solenoid and it doesn't start. And the starter cranks when jumping the solenoid large battery cable lugs then the solenoid is bad.

Check the 4 wires going from the magneto to the electronics case. I dealt with a similar issue where bridging the solenoid with a wrench allowed my GTX to turn over but it wouldn't crank on its own. I had confirmed my solenoid was working by using it in my second GTX, the engine ground and battery wires were good, and my start/stop switch was working. Left me puzzled for a long time!

Turned out that a corroded wire inside of the wire sheath between the waterproof electronics box and magneto connector was causing a poor connection. Once I spliced out the wire and replaced it, she started right up!

Also worth unplugging the temperature sensor just in case it broke and is causing your engine not to turn over.

Check the 4 wires going from the magneto to the electronics case. I dealt with a similar issue where bridging the solenoid with a wrench allowed my GTX to turn over but it wouldn't crank on its own. I had confirmed my solenoid was working by using it in my second GTX, the engine ground and battery wires were good, and my start/stop switch was working. Left me puzzled for a long time!

Turned out that a corroded wire inside of the wire sheath between the waterproof electronics box and magneto connector was causing a poor connection. Once I spliced out the wire and replaced it, she started right up!

Also worth unplugging the temperature sensor just in case it broke and is causing your engine not to turn over.
Thanks for your replies, what would be the best way to check the 4 wires? When it's disconnected the Sea-doo doesn't do the two BIB when I put the key in.

I will check if it runs without the temp sensor plugged in.

I used a multimeter to check the continuity of each of the 4 wires.

My ski also beeped twice when the magneto connector was plugged in but wouldn't beep when it was unplugged, so I initially thought the connection was fine. From my experience, the black wire can be disconnected preventing your ski from turning over but still allowing it to turn on with the lanyard switch.

It's hard to get multimeter probe contact in the waterproof connector, so stick a small strand of wire inside it or remove the wires from the connector if needed. Also, consider cutting away the wire sleeve that surrounds the 4 individual wires so you can visibly see if one is damaged.

So I checked the 4 wires and they were all good. I checked everything in the grey box for loose connection. I didn't find anything and I gave up, ordered a new PMEP on amazon. I close everything up and I tried to start it once everything was closed up.

When I pressed the start switch they was one short BIP and the starter cranked. I was surprised, I played with it a little and I got it running! Yeah! I started it and stopped it 2 times in my driveway. I immediately took it to the lake with one of my friend. I backed in the water, it started running right up, so I removed it from the trailer, went and parked my car.

I got on my Sea-doo, went to start it, same problem. Gave it two three hard slap on the side of the hull near the battery box and it started. Drove it for about 30 minutes until I removed the key by accident. I had the same problem on the water... My friend towed me to the boat ramp.

So my taught right now is to open up every connection and put some Dielectric grease in every connection. But I want you guys opinions on what wires/connections that could be my problem.

Thank you guys for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back