Need user help on older Challenger and Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigsticker

Hello,

I am new to this site and am writing to inquire the help of you seasoned sea-doo owners. I currently own a small fishing boat and am interested in getting into an older (pre 2000) challenger (15') or speedster for a small run-about around my in-laws lake. I have two children and a wife as well as several other freinds, cousins etc that more than likely would like to join us on our boat trips. The reason i'm looking for an older boat is I don't want to have to spend a bunch of cash to simply pull tubes. A jet ski is pretty much out of the question since our children are very young and it is limited to two people pretty much. My questions are:

I like the challenger because it can seat 5 (ideal for our family situation) but with only one engine on this model, (787, 110HP i believe) will it be sufficient to have a couple adults in the boat and pull a tube or will it be a dog?

What is the top end on a boat like this with 4 adults or even with just driver? I don't need to go fast but when fully loaded I don't want to buy a boat that won't get on plane.

The speedster I'm looking at is a twin engine model but only seats four but has about 160 HP, or is this boat not set up for pulling tubes and skiers and strictly for speed?

On an older boat I'm worried that the possiblity of having two motors, impellers, etc may cost more to maintain and fix should something go wrong as well so i'm trying to weigh the good and the bad.

Any help and input from you experienced owners would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.

First... lets start with a few FYI's.

1) Jetskis (PWC) aren't limited to 2 people. It's very common to see 3 passenger skis. Also... Polaris (Genesis), Yamaha (SUV), and Seadoo (LRV) all produced 4 passenger siks. The SeaDoo LRV is a monster, with a large sun platform, and storage large enough to put skis, or a day's worth of camp gear. The only issue with them, is that they weren't made for very long, and they are coveted by most owners. I personally have a Polaris Genesis, and it's great for when I don't want to take the boat out.

2) The 14.5' Challenger is not a 5 passenger boat. Like all of the small seadoo boats... it is only a 4 passenger boat. Yes... there are physically 5 seats in it... but it's only rated for 4, and there is a capacity plate in it. If you get caught with 5 people in it... the fines are expensive. The only 5 passenger boat seadoo made was the 16' speedster/sportster hull. (but the "SK" was still 4)

With that out of the way... the 14.5' boats are an absolute blast !!!!! Regardless if you get a Sportster, Speedster, or challenger... they can be used like a big jetski. You can jump waves, slide them... spin them... pull tubes, go fishing... what ever you want. Plus, they are small enough that it's easy to handle by yourself. (launch and retrieval is as easy as a jetski)

As far as putting 4 adults in it... that's going to be rough. (depending what you want to do) I remember one time... I had my brother, my nephew, and myself in the boat, and we were pulling the wake board. Towing wasn't an issue... but with the 3 of us in the boat, we were close to max weight... and we got water splashed over the sides a few times. Not a big deal since it was a hot summer day, but that brings me to my next point......

If you have 4 adults, and they are more than 160 Lbs each.... then expect to get wet. Also... on a choppy lake... you may get VERY wet. (or could be dangerous) The little boats aren't sitting out of the water by much... and with max weight in them... you may only be 8 to 12 inches out of the water, at the bow.

realistically... the boat is good for 2 adults, and 2 kids.

As far as speed... it's a hard thing to judge on a +12 year old boat. I had a single engine sportster. BUT... it was in PERFECT condition. AND... I hand massaged everything to get peak performance out of it. Full speed, by myself was around 45 mph... normal cruse, with the top up was around 30 mph... and max speed with 4 people, a cooler chest, and the top... was probably 32 mph. The other boats, with more HP could go faster... assuming the engine(s), and pump(s) are in good shape.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Dr. Honda!

Your Sportster, did it have the 787 engine in it?

Thanks again for your information, its that amount of detail that will help me make an informed decision.

Your Sportster, did it have the 787 engine in it?

Nope... it was a single 720 engine. (85 hp) I do admit... I like the Challenger though. It had that nice, rear facing seat, and a manual trim system. AND... it's 110 hp. The 720 engine is BOMB PROOF... but the 800 is also a VERY good engine, as long as you feed it synthetic API-TC oil

The Speedsters are nice, since they have 2 engines, and 2 pumps to get you up and going. BUT... since they have 2 of everything... they do burn twice the fuel, and have twice the $$$ in maintenance.

192.jpg

I have the 98 speedster with twin 787s. Yes, there are 2 engines to take care of but they are 2 strokes and much less expensive to maintenance and fix than any 4 stroke. They are overall fairly easy to work on. As far as towing, I have had 3 adults and 1 older child in the boat, pulling a 4th adult on skis. We had no problem pulling the skier up. When all 5 of us were in the boat it still had plenty of power to put a smile on all our faces. I am envious though because as the captain I never get the chance to enjoy the ride in the bow seat!!!

Thank you for the information guys. I am going to go with the challenger single engine. Less to worry about on an older boat. The seller has agreed to let me take the boat to a shop and have a compression test and inspection done. May not be bullet proof but it will help ease my mind.

Thank you for the information guys. I am going to go with the challenger single engine. Less to worry about on an older boat. The seller has agreed to let me take the boat to a shop and have a compression test and inspection done. May not be bullet proof but it will help ease my mind.

one thing to consider when buying a single engine boat, when you break down, no if, but when, you will be towed. you will not have another engine to idle back in on... so they are benefits to having dual maintenance with 2 engines...

I'm with you on this one. Yes dual engines are a pain for maintenance, but the benefits outweigh the cons, at least that's my opinion. I have no opinion to share on the particular boats in question, I've only ever seen a couple of the smaller boats and have never actually been on one on the water. We went with the 1800 for extra size and space. I miss summer.

Well, I went and bought the boat I was looking at. Its a 1997 challenger and looks to be in pretty good shape despite being 16 years old. Some TLC and it'll be right in good shape. I was not able to get it in for a compression test but the gentleman started it up for me and she fired just great. I am taking a chance on the pumps but what I paid for the condition its in I think I came out okay and have room to wiggle even if some repairs are required (hopefully not pump!)

Anyway, on to do some detailing and vinyl conditioning, install a radio and bimini and I should be ready for summer. Super excited to try it out and can't wait to do some boating! Thanks to you guys as well for your information and opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back