1996 Challenger, or 1995 Speedster? Which would you choose?

Buy speedster?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50/50

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ORION '95 Speedster

Hey, so I have a 1996 Seadoo Challenger. Compression is 138/140.
I have never used it before.

I have the option to buy a 1995 Seadoo Speedster that is also fully operational and comes with a trailer for $3,000.

I like to go fast, and I like fast acceleration. Should I try my new Challenger on the water, or should I buy the Speedster now before it sells, and just start with that one on the water?

Are the extra engines going to provide better overall reliability of the boat and significantly better acceleration? Or?

Should I drop the 3K, or stick with what I have?

Max number of passengers would be 2 average size adults.
No wake boarding or anything like that. Just cruising around and having fun.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hard to say. For just crusing around I say challenger. For speed and acceleration speedster. Reliability about the same. But with the speedster you can afford to loose and engine and still get home. But cost to run (fuel) will be more and maintenance could be more. I would take the challenger out and see how you like it. I had a challenger and it never let me down.

The Speedsters are a lot of fun. They do everything fast.

I tend to think the 96 Speedster has the most performance due to twin 717 engines with dual carbs. The earlier Speedsters have smaller engines and the later one's single carbs.

Two engines mean you always get home.

If you already have a jet boat, for sure try it out.

The two boats have different cockpit configurations. I've always wondered about the 97 Speedster as it has the rearward spotter's seat, but I do like the room of not having it and the performance of the twin carbs.

Back