I hate electrical problems - HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

flip6

Ski was running ok.

After a few spins rolled her onto her side - not all the way over - just over onto her side for about a minute. I did that twice and after ski ran fine for about 10 minutes. Not sure if roll has any significance.

Then had one run where it reached only 5000 rpm then was fine and then on wot ski hesitated for a second and then stopped.

On the water floating ski has no electrics. My mate who was on the ski at the time sprayed the lanyard with CRC

In the garage i found a blown 15 amp fuse which i replaced.

Clocks then worked and when i pressed the start button a could hear a click in the handle bar. The frequency of the click got slower and slower until it stopped and then it was replaced by a beep - i think the click was the beeper getting low current.

Then the clocks only worked while the start button was depressed and deactivated as soon as button was released. Lots other random electical faults and once the engine turned over. No symptom was repeated - like every time i tried to start the ski different beeps or no beeps happened.

I've pulled the leads from the brain, gently flushed with fresh water sprayed with crc and let to dry for 2 days . Ive pulled the coil out of the front box and also let it dry as well as charging the battery.

Tried to start it tonight and there are no electrics working. Fuses are good and i've cleaned the lanyard with a cloth. 12.4v at the battery

No idea where to start - any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

batt charger

Ski was running ok.

After a few spins rolled her onto her side - not all the way over - just over onto her side for about a minute. I did that twice and after ski ran fine for about 10 minutes. Not sure if roll has any significance.

Then had one run where it reached only 5000 rpm then was fine and then on wot ski hesitated for a second and then stopped.

On the water floating ski has no electrics. My mate who was on the ski at the time sprayed the lanyard with CRC

In the garage i found a blown 15 amp fuse which i replaced.

Clocks then worked and when i pressed the start button a could hear a click in the handle bar. The frequency of the click got slower and slower until it stopped and then it was replaced by a beep - i think the click was the beeper getting low current.

Then the clocks only worked while the start button was depressed and deactivated as soon as button was released. Lots other random electical faults and once the engine turned over. No symptom was repeated - like every time i tried to start the ski different beeps or no beeps happened.

I've pulled the leads from the brain, gently flushed with fresh water sprayed with crc and let to dry for 2 days . Ive pulled the coil out of the front box and also let it dry as well as charging the battery.

Tried to start it tonight and there are no electrics working. Fuses are good and i've cleaned the lanyard with a cloth. 12.4v at the battery

No idea where to start - any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

I hope you removed one of the batt wires when the charger was used, there should be labels everywhere to alert you "do not use a running vehicle or batt charger with the batt in the ski" if you do this you risk damaging the MPEM, have you tested compression, and spark, I doubt if fuel would cause a dead ski on the water, if it cranks but does not start unscrew the spark plug connector and look for some green corrsion there, the fix is clip off 6MM and reconnect to a new piece of copper in the wire.

Began tracing live wires and found bad corrosion in feed to mpem.

Thought that was the problem that i've fixed tonight.

The 15 amp "batt" fuse located on mpem keeps blowing. Sometimes it blows as soon as as inserted. sometimes i can turn the ski over repeatedly and then it blows.

Where do i start ????

check your battery/ground cables,and if all good, remove the mag cover and inspect for metal shavings inside, also inspect the bendix assy for wear

Bendix is the teeth part of the starter that engages the flywheel - check for missing chunks
good luck

Electrical tested the magneto.

Resistance between any two yellow wires should be between 0-1 ohm. Mine range from 65 - 80 ohm.

Also there should be infinite resistance between any one yellow wire and earth.

In my case all the wires show continuity to earth - lowesr was 6 ohm.

So the mag is shorting to earth.

Question is - on an XP ltd does the engine need to come out to fix the mag ?

Is it just remove the cover and blow out any metal shavings or is it a complete rebuild / replacement of the mag and stator ?

Thanks,

Phil

You have to fabricate some wood to hold the front of the motor in position and remove the cover where you see the wiring plug and you also see the motor mount - you may find a wedge from each side is best to keep the alignment exact so the driveshaft angle is not altered when you go back together.

Sorry Voodoo don't really understand.

I know what cover to take off - just not sure if the mag can be looked at removed etc with the engine in place.

Took the mag cover off and all was very dissapointing - nothing really wrong.

Put it all back together and unplugged everything on the ski except the stuff that makes it run. Ski runs fine - no blown fuses.

Next plan is to plug things in until a fude bloes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back