I blew a Nut! - wrong oil used?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SabrToothSqrl

so, i sucked up water in my engine... like i often do... and apparently, when I cranked it over to start it, or soon after, it actually sheered off one of the head nuts!

gone! poof!

It's lost a lot of performance, and tops out at 6K vs 7K, and.. I think it's spraying water all over the engine bay.

But, I think the real issue is that TCW-3 oil that the dealer reccomended to me... No way an engine ingesting water could ever do this... right ;)?

IMG_1131.jpg

HaHaHaHa, LOL, Scrat lost his nut!

I doubt that the water ingestion caused the head stud to break, more than likely is has been fractured and finally let go. It would take so much force to break just one stud and not touch the others that you would more likely break a rod, piston or the starter simply would not crank the engine over and cause no damage.

As far as the TCW-3 oil, whats the deal! You have been on this forum a long time now so why would you ever use a TCW-3 oil in any seadoo let alone a 951. You know better than that no matter what anybody tells you. Shame on you Sqrl! XPS Synthetic, XPS Synthetic, XPS Synthetic, XPS Synthetic XPS Synthetic XPS Synthetic XPS Synthetic XPS Synthetic XPS Synthetic!

But I only run the best water-based, water-soluble personal lubricant ;)

but when I couldn't afford that, I changed it up to whatever oil comes out my mower when I change it.

Also, anyone else notice that you put 6 quarts of oil into an engine and get 5 out?!

Back on topic, I pulled the engine last night, SES has one already under repair for me lol.

Yes, of course I run XPS-II.

Looks like I'll be breaking in 2 engines this summer! both in XPs lol!

Astroglide doesn't work either, don't ask!

I get 7 quarts out but only put 6 in!

I fixed this for you:

"Looks like I'll be breaking 2 engines this summer! both in XPs lol!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Which nut, the left or right? I hate it when that happens. :facepalm: Your underwear will never fit right again.

Lou

Unless the engine is under warranty, why not just pull the jug and put a new stud in yourself? Seems like a lot of extra leg work for one stud. Did I read it correct your sending it to SES for repair?

Unless the engine is under warranty, why not just pull the jug and put a new stud in yourself? Seems like a lot of extra leg work for one stud. Did I read it correct your sending it to SES for repair?

This ^

Ask Tom if he'll send the parts U need and if he'll still warranty if you fix yourself. Win-win!

so, i sucked up water in my engine... like i often do... and apparently, when I cranked it over to start it, or soon after, it actually sheered off one of the head nuts!
gone! poof!
It's lost a lot of performance, and tops out at 6K vs 7K, and.. I think it's spraying water all over the engine bay.
But, I think the real issue is that TCW-3 oil that the dealer reccomended to me... No way an engine ingesting water could ever do this... right ;)?

View attachment 27158

Are you still buying oil and your nuts/bolts at walmart.....you know they buy from China. :)

Engine

Engine was done by them 3 years ago. I'm not going to bother them since it's clearly out of warranty.

Last night I finished putting my 2000 XP together, then stripped this engine.

I got the head off and was able to get the broken stud out.

from the looks of it, it just needs a new stud, head nut, and head gasket...

I have an engine, right now, at SES, that I plan to drop into my 2002 XP.

I'll throw a new head gasket on this and call it a day, and keep it as a spare engine.

While pulling this one apart, I also noticed that two of the reeds were damaged, with small holes in them!

So, I ordered some new reeds...

IMG_1134.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back