A concern, somewhat shocking...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

NewUser23

So I purchased a brand new Sea Doo recently. Rode a total of just over 2 hours on the motor over two days. Bring it in and notice water in the storage compartment. Pull the plugs to let the water drain thinking it's not much but this one is new to me. Wayyy more water comes out than I was expecting. I take a look in the engine compartment and there is water up to at least the top of the battery after draining a little bit. I continue draining the plugs again and water drains for over 5 minutes. Gallons and gallons. I contact the dealer, we both think a loose hose or something. They come and look at it. Come to find out, the Sea Doo has a HOLE IN THE HULL. Apparently Sea Doo misdrilled somewhere and left the hole open to the water on the side of the ski. The tech sees the water pour in. The dealer has started the process of handling things but I have some concerns and wanted some thoughts:
  1. Brand new jet ski, now essentially "partially sunk". You buy a new jet ski to avoid these things and hopefully not have issues for awhile. Now I'm concerned that this could have caused other damage. No one would buy a partially sunk jet ski and now this is what I have from brand new.

2. Had I rode another hour or maybe even less I think it would've sunk and left me stranded. No one expects a brand new jet ski to leave you stranded. Had someone been using this in the ocean or a significantly large body of water they could be in deep trouble. How can Sea Doo have such poor quality control that this could happen? This puts lives in danger.

Your seadoo is still new. No harm done. The dealer will replace the sponson or the bolt and all will be fine. BRP will definitely not give you a replacement. They would replace the entire engine before they do that. They do get tank tested and ran before shipping but not perfect quality control. Have the dealer check and tighten your hose clamps while they are there.

Kind of boating 101 advice - check if your boat is leaking when you first put it in the water and before you leave it unattended in the water for any length of time. Hoses crack, clamps get left untightened, plugs get left out, bolts get left unsealed, fiberglass hulls crack, aluminum hulls pop rivets, steel hulls rust.
It sucks to worry about these things on a new boat, but they happen all the time.

Technicaly sea Doo states in there operator's manual that it's not recommended to leave your jet ski mored in the water.they do not have a bildge pump that automatically runs when not in use.as far as a problem in the future you should be all set no harm from a partial sinking.it won't be the last time it fills with water

Well, I wouldn't be so forgiving as the last 3 posters. This is just plain ridiculous and you should demand a replacement. A brand new boat with a hole in the hull from the factory is not seaworthy. It could have sunk in deep water leaving you treading water without a clue as to what caused it. Not saying it can't be repaired but there's no way to know what else they did wrong during assembly and what damage was done to the engine and other internals. Unbelievable actually. Have you considered legal action?

Any guess what the green dots are above the drilled holes?

I’d consider writing a letter to the Seadoo corporate stating facts, disappointment in quality and what resolution you would like. Keep the emotions out of it and don’t cast blame. You might be surprised how they respond. (Think CEO, VP Corp Quality, VP Engineering, etc)

There is no reason to accept poor quality or take on the diminished value this might impart.

Good luck.

The green dot is a quality check that is done by the installer after they tighten the nut they installed. Then a different quality person then looks for the green dot which says that it has been installed properly. As I stated above, quality control isn't perfect and there is always a human factor. They could add additional quality checks and people but this will increase the cost of the ski. BRP has no obligation to give you a new ski even if you "demand" it. It will never happen for such a minor issue. You can call and write all the letters you want and hire attorneys, but it will end up being pointless.

Back