"New" RXTX300: Oil on spark plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

stu_

Hello, I have a 2020 RXT-X 300 with less that 10 hours on it. It's just been sitting all this time since I bought it new after I ran it a bit, then got it winterized. It has not been started since and battery was removed until recently.

I got the old fuel out of it and just started the process of changing spark plugs, cap, etc., (following Youtube videos), and I discovered oil dripping from all three spark plug threads. I think/hope I know why, but I need advice on it as I don't know much about engines, etc.

It was indoors most of the time, but for first six months before I got my shop built it was outside, uncovered. Water was collecting in the engine compartment, so someone recommended tilting the jet ski on the trailer all the way back until it rested tilted up on the tail of the jet ski. It sat that way months, but that was a couple years ago and like I said it's just been sitting level indoors since.

Other than that, I have no explanation. It has the original oil in it from the dealer.

I'd sure appreciate any advice. Thanks.

EDIT: With spark plugs removed, I turned the engine over a few times. No oil coming from cylinders, just mist (fuel mist I think). Coils are interchangeable according to a shop.

Last edited:
If the ski was stored properly there was storage oil sprayed into the cylinders and then the spark plugs were replaced and I am guessing with the ski on its butt for awhile the oil somehow migrated to the spark plugs. Clean the plugs with some brake cleaner, reinstall and it should fire right up.

If the ski was stored properly there was storage oil sprayed into the cylinders and then the spark plugs were replaced and I am guessing with the ski on its butt for awhile the oil somehow migrated to the spark plugs. Clean the plugs with some brake cleaner, reinstall and it should fire right up.
Thanks for responding skiasylum. I didn't think of that. The spark plugs weren't replaced... I could tell by looking at them. Yesterday I changed the oil, filter, and plugs. She's in the water now. I ran her very briefly. She seemed fine.

New question, since I put her in the water yesterday, after her way-too-long dry dock. I'm in a spot with very shallow water and regular strong wind, so it's rough out there. (Pamlico River mouth). I Don't have a lift for her yet. Do you think the constant sloshing and heavy pitching up and down could move the oil into places it should not go?

Thank you again.

Probably not, the cylinders are wiped somewhat clean of oil when running and shut down and the rest of it drains down into the sump and sloshes around down there, and cold oil doesn't really slosh much.

Okay then, great, thanks. Have a great summer on the water skiasylum and everyone. I have big plans for a lot of use of the ski. The forum sure is a great resource. I'll be back:)

I kind of cringe thinking about a 2020 RXT-X 300 bobbing around in rough water like that, don't delay too long on a that lift.

Back