Hydo Turf question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mgiffune

I'm about to install my Hydro Turf on my 97 SPX. I just want a final opinion on what to do in the footwells.

I read Lou's instructions on cutting the heads off the rivets, and filling with epoxy after removing the old traction pad from the rear. However, this model never had the traction pad in the foot wells...the SPX has the rough, raised fiberglass instead. Should I sand this down smooth, or will the hydro turf stick to the rough surface as is (after cleaning thoroughly of course)?

Thanks in advance!

That's the way my 96GTI was, just make sure the surface is clean, and apply the mats over the rough areas, did mine three years ago, they stick fine.

Lou

just clean all the surfaces real well , i use a strong soap, such as "grease lightning" also use a soft abrasive pad, i use a "majic eraser",
then rinse clean and dry, and just before u install hydro turf, use on a lint free rag a generous amount of rubbing alchohol, let dry and put em on, park in sun for an hour, then your good to go....

it depends if you got the mats with the adhesive backing, or your just going to use contact cement. if you have the backing you need to sand it smooth. I just did mine yesterday, i sanded my footwells down because i ordered the adhesive backing, but the guy who got me them forgot to order it, so i had to use contact cement. just make sure you clean the footwells first with a strong cleaner like Acetone or Alcohol. this removes all waxes, oil, and anything that would cause the cement to not stick very well. good luck!

I just heated up the footwells and mats, started to peel the backing paper (I have the 3M adhesive) and slowly started to lay it down. I did it right over the rough sections. For prep I filled all the rivit holes, and then once dry wiped it all down with acetone, let that dry and started to lay mats.

You can see it in my avatar to the left.

Got it done yesterday, it was the hydro-turf with the adhesive backing. Sounds like I'll be okay though. I did it in the hot sun (that black mat does get HOT! Seems I'll have some foot warmers!).

It looks great! Actually considering ditching the OEM tread on the 95 XP and replacing it now! Definitely money well spent. Thanks for the advice guys.

Still cleaning her up, put some Forever Black on the bumber's, too. Any tips to get the 'shine' back on the white fiberlass? My 95 XP has been garage stored, and has retained it's shine...the 97 is dull in comparison. I tried some marine wax, and it helped a bit, but I fear I've lost that 'gleam' from the gel coat on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back