RESTO 1996 GSX complete restore and re gelcoat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question did you paint the hood, hood delector and steering covers? I have the same ski and the plastics are all faded and trying to figure out best way to restore them and yours look amazing.

Quick question did you paint the hood, hood delector and steering covers? I have the same ski and the plastics are all faded and trying to figure out best way to restore them and yours look amazing.

Yes, sanded with 400 grit. I used Rustoleum blk vinyl/trim paint on the steering cover and Cobalt Blue Metallic (Home Depot) and a Gloss Clear on the hood and deflector. I'd like to do the hood/deflector in a 2 part paint, but I couldn't justify the extra cost, the local auto paint place wouldn't sell me a small can like a pint, they wanted a quart as a minimum. When it's hot my ski cover messes up the paint because it's softer than what an automotive paint would be.

Last edited:
Could you tell us how long it takes to do the restore?

Depends on the extent of neglect and expectation of the finished result. With overlap of finishing the 97' GTX then getting the 96' GSX, I gave myself a 1 yr deadline on the water from time of purchase. It was July 17' to July 18' for the GTX and May 18' to May 19' for the GSX. Both were complete turds, more so on the topside of the GSX that sat neglected in the sun uncovered for years. The GTX was a mess, had rats that nested in it after sitting in a barn for a year.

Majority of the resto work was cosmetic, mainly gelcoat work, all the sanding, etc. The GTX was more hours because of the sheer size and the challenge of changing the bottom from the dated green to black. The GSX wasn't as bad because I had been through all the trial and error prior. I'd say just in gelcoat work on topside the GTX it was over 80 hours, I was having a hard time seeing an end to the sanding madness on that one. The GSX was a partial on the bottom and a full cover on topside, but I closely tracked the hours and came up with about 55 hours or so from prep, applying, sanding then polished and ready for decals.

I know I'm finally done and don't anticipate any more jet ski projects, picked up my double Triton a few months back and have been taking them both out ever since. As a family of 5 we've been enjoying them, took them to a lake house earlier last month for our Summer vacation.

Attachments

• 20190602_112524.jpg
    20190602_112524.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190709_170216.jpg
    20190709_170216.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 42
Those machines look like new ones! Awesome job!
Could you tell me what kind of glue you have been used for hydro-turf ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back