SeaDoo Speedster SK - 1999
(2) SeaDoo Spark 90hp - 2016
Looks like it. Seems as if I wouldn't be too scared to apply some myself

GGuillot

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
1996 GSX
Update:

Hull gelcoat refurbishing is complete!!! Just on topside I'd say about 55 hours of work. Prepping hull for gelcoat - 8 hours. Applying white gelcoat - 6 hours. Sanding smooth using 150 - 2000 grit - 35 hours. Retouch sanding, polishing and glaze - 6 hours. I'll do the final wax after all decals and mats are applied.

I've disassembled the engine and sent the cylinders and one new piston off to Full Bore for a resleeve. Popped the PTO flywheel off the crankshaft for a reman swap, (4 foot cheater bar) looks like one bearing on the crankshaft is noisy. Has original pistons, standard bore, I didn't do a compression test, but the rings were very loose in the cylinders. Straight up full rebuild planned, I don't know the hours yet, but it looks pretty worn out. RV cover is out of spec, over 20 thousandths, so it'll need machining.

All downhill from here forward now that the hull is done I can start getting stuff back on the ski, hoping to be done by May, which is a year from purchasing. I've started getting the rail back on, heat gun is necessary, for some reason it shrinks a bit once you remove it. This week I'm applying the mats I purchased during the black friday sale. Seat cover just came in and the decal set should be in soon.

Attachments

emspjay

Water Crafts
1996 Seadoo XP, 1996 Seadoo GTX, 1996 Seadoo GSX, 1996 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer, 1995 Seadoo XP 800
WOW that looks amazing!! I need to find more time to work on my Doo's. Spent the last 4 days cleaning up one of my rental properties. Always something in my way but I WILL get my 1995 XP800 done this year (at least that is the plan again LOL)

GGuillot

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
1996 GSX
Making progress, I picked up a pair of XPL sponsons recently to replace the stock ones I had off. They're slightly longer in comparison, but I mainly wanted them not having to paint the faded stock ones black.

Installing was a big pain, it took a awhile, using a mirror and a claw tool it was one washer and locking washer at a time.

I finished installing the mats, rear grab handle, rear eyelet, HIN plate, rub rail and inserts. For the hard to find exclusive 96' GSX rear insert, which seems to fall out easily on this ski, I secured it indiscreetly using some small screws from underneath. Pricey and difficult to find that 1 1/4" piece, but it looks borrowed from a Sportster rail and insert.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
For the sponson nuts and washers the easiest way I have found is to cut the head off a bolt and/or stud, thread the nut on one or two threads then slide the lock washer on then the flat washer, then put a few drops of CA glue on them and some Zip Kicker to make them one solid unit. Then remove from the stud and with some masking tape on the nut it will stay in a deep socket. Finally I just use a long extension and a mirror and thread them on by hand.

It is pretty easy this way and once tightened the glue breaks free.

GGuillot

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
1996 GSX
For the sponson nuts and washers the easiest way I have found is to cut the head off a bolt and/or stud, thread the nut on one or two threads then slide the lock washer on then the flat washer, then put a few drops of CA glue on them and some Zip Kicker to make them one solid unit. Then remove from the stud and with some masking tape on the nut it will stay in a deep socket. Finally I just use a long extension and a mirror and thread them on by hand.

It is pretty easy this way and once tightened the glue breaks free.
That's a good tip, it was the locking washer that kept falling off my claw tool, once I carefully got both on it was a matter of the nut taped in the socket on the extension. I got the hang of it after the first sponson, second went on quicker. Much easier on the GTX last year, on that ski I could get my hand down in there better and reach the threads.

GGuillot

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
1996 GSX
Making some progress, cosmetics coming along. Applied the blue carbon fiber graphics kit from pwc graphics, quality stuff. It's a good thing I could lift and reapply, the forward decals were tricky with the contour getting it lined up perfect.

I made one more final cleaning in the hull with some simple green and installed the rubber pads under the tank. I washed the tank out thoroughly, which had residue on the bottom.

After much frustration trying to get a good fuel baffle, I finally did. I discovered the original one had corrosion in the top on one of the poles to the board, I tore it apart thinking a blown F1 fuse, but deemed it non-repairable. Picked one up off ebay which had a bad ohm reading, with nothing registering below 1/3 level. Has a bad resistor on the board somewhere, ebay seller made good on it and sent me another one, this one I verified, 2-90 ohms like it should be.

Continuing to get stuff on the ski and finishing up covering the seat, during stapling my 25 yr old B&D stapler broke. I did some media blasting on engine parts at Ft. Benning, but the moisture was causing issues, so need to try again next weekend. One welch plug is bad on the exhaust, so need to fix that.

This week I'm deciding on the hood color, I have it prepped for primer. Leaning towards a color that compliments the mats and the seat, likely a metallic medium blue. Thought about a wrap on the hood, but I don't want to overdo the black carbon fiber, I've got it everywhere, all the decals and the middle fabric of the seat.

Attachments

emspjay

Water Crafts
1996 Seadoo XP, 1996 Seadoo GTX, 1996 Seadoo GSX, 1996 Sea Ray 300 Sundancer, 1995 Seadoo XP 800
That's looking really really awesome! Those new graphics are sweet! I fixed up my 96 GSX 2 years ago but didn't do new side graphics.

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
1996 GSX
That's looking really really awesome! Those new graphics are sweet! I fixed up my 96 GSX 2 years ago but didn't do new side graphics.
The set comes with all of them, the one on top the hull under the steering and all the warning labels. I meant to call Mike back at PWC graphics and let him know the roll over decal is wrong, if you flip it counter clockwise like it indicates it'll flood.

They are of a good quality, much better than the decals I picked up from exoticsigns.com for the GTX last year.

Adsense

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member