Rough surface underneath traction mat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Austrian Rotax

Hi, just curious why on my 95 xp underneath the traction mat there is a very rough surface it feels exactly like 40 grit sand paper under the footwell pads but the pad on the rear deck of ski underneath that pad it was smooth as a babies bottom, im installing new turf everywhere and im in the process of sanding down the gritty surface under the footwells and was just curious what could do this? I don't know much about gelcote. Thanks

Even though it's not the same hull, I believe the upper deck part is the same as an SP, the SP doesn't come with traction mats, so it's made for anti-slip. I know before I put traction mats on my 96GTI it had roughed up areas, where there were previously no traction mats.

Lou

So the riveted pads aren't considered traction mats then I assume? this rough 40 grit like sand paper stuff is underneath the pads and it is pure white same colour as the hull so I know it is the gelcoat that has formed into a sandpaper like surface

It's normal, don't waste time sanding it. My GTX and speedster had the same thing when I ripped up the old pads to put hydro turf down

I did hydro turf on mine with the grit, cleaned with alcohol first and it is super stuck. Wouldn't worry about sanding it off

in my opinion you should wet sand it smooth to give the turf a better stick takes a few beer to get her done but worth the effort. its likely the ski needs a good polish in the foot wells anyway.

I just cleaned mine with a magic eraser before I put the mats down. This is our second season with them and they still look new

Like Lou said, they used the same top decks for several different skis, so they have the non skid in the footwells under the factory pads. I just stuck the blacktip mats on over top of the non skid, never had any issue with them coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back