how easy is it to tune a pipe?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish! Tuned pipes are made tuned. It's with the length and back pressure. Not something that you can do to a pipe... unless you cut it and change the shape, length (by knowing the frequency and rpm you want the best power at) etc....Not just a matter of guessing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Typically the rule of thumb is you jet as low as you can, to get it as hot as you can w/o melting exhaust hoses. Typically if you flick water at it and it steams the water its perfect. If it sizzles....too hot.

Hey guys... it's a valid question. Please keep joking to a minimum.

Back in the day... pipes were made to be tuned by the end user. It's just in resent times that they are made to semi-idiot proof... where you bolt them on, and change the jetting the manufactures spec.

Anyway... how are you doing your tuning? Are you physically changing the length? Or, are you playing with water injection?

Here is some good information on what needs to be done to tune a pipe if that's what you were looking for...

Haha tuna fish. Im new to this Haha I mean jetting I.was eyeing a aftermarket exhaust but I called a shop and they quoted me 90 dollars an hour to tuna fish it. I got my stock exhaust fixed today so I'm just going to go with that :)

Pardon my joking, I was unaware one could even 'tune a pipe'... to me that's as silly as assigning IRQs to a PC.. something that hasn't been done manually in 20 years... and I'm only 28...

I thought you could only swap pipes... I don't personally know enough about the 2 stroke sonic wave / pressure to tune them myself... I know how they work and why, but I couldn't tell you how to adjust one!

Pardon my joking, I was unaware one could even 'tune a pipe'... to me that's as silly as assigning IRQs to a PC.. something that hasn't been done manually in 20 years... and I'm only 28...

That was half the fun of loading software back in the day. On an 8088, 8086, 386, or 486... every time you would load a game... you would have to set the IRQ of the sound card, and what DMA channel it was on. AND... sometimes you would have to set up the other input devices, especially if you were using an old joy-stick that went into the "Game Port".

The reason for most of that was because we were running in protected mode. Basically, the game would dump the OS out of memory, and only use a small DOS kernel in the background.

Seadoo's... just like computers... they try to make it idiot proof because of liability, but in turn, general knowledge goes out the window, because you don't have to know WHY it works.

That wasn't a flame at anyone... just feeling old these days.

Careful Doc, expansion chambers and X286's are a foreign language. Next you'll be port matching your intake and exhaust ports to your manifold and headers. Shorten your collector pipe anyone?

Those really were the good ole days, but it is good that they ARE the old days. POPS

drivers

The on-site computer repair company I own will no longer be servicing anything Windows XP or older... it's just too time consuming and at this point, that's an 11 year old OS... the $ from the End User would be better spent on a new PC. Most people don't have 11 year old cars!

I understand how the 2 stroke pipe works, and how the RAVEs work, but figured it was tuned 'right' or 'good enough' stock...

I am an IT Director at a local car dealership. Cadillac, Volvo, Saab, Subaru, we have at last count 86 computers, half of which are still XP machines. The reason being GM never approved use of Vista, so partially due to the economy, we are slowly replacing our XP computers with Windows 7 Pro computers. Our main application is a Reynolds & Reynolds system which is an old terminal based system that has been converted to computer emulation, which windows XP runs fine, the main reason we are going to windows 7 is because we are replacing computers.

I guess the point is newer technology is not always needed or necessary kinda like 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke.

Lou

anybody need any 8" floppy discs for a pdp-11. i know as soon as i throw them out i will need them. i must be slowing down in my old age, took me almost an hour today to toggle in my OS from the front panel. my crt is starting to go dim too... thinking i might need to upgrade to an apple II

I think I can use those floppy's in my Radio Shack TRS80, they might even work on my Edison Victrola.

Lou

We are now WAY off topic, but XP is just too slow, old, and without any support now for years. I wish it would just DIE.
Windows 8 will be 64 bit only FINALLY.
I had hoped 7 was going to be 64 bit only, but no dice.

We are now WAY off topic, but XP is just too slow, old, and without any support now for years. I wish it would just DIE.
Windows 8 will be 64 bit only FINALLY.
I had hoped 7 was going to be 64 bit only, but no dice.

:lol: Does this mean I need to sell my 96XP, it runs plenty fast for me. Trying to get back on subject.

Lou

it might.... the sea-doo site doesn't show parts for anything older than 96... so you may be SOL next year if they do it on a rolling basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back