RESTO "Double Threat" Resto - 2 x 1995 XP 800s

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

falklandsx

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hey Guys – long time lurker, first time poster. I've been restoring watercraft for a while, but never shared on the forums. Starting a new project I thought you guys might find interesting: two 1995 XP 800s. I have a lead on a third 95 XP 800, but it’s 400 miles from my house, so I’ll be taking a road trip this weekend to grab it if it doesn't sell before then. If I get lucky, post name will change to “Triple Threat!”

I picked up the first one a little over a year ago. The guy I bought it from was a dealer and the original owner. He had more brand-spanking NOS parts than I've ever seen. He *thinks* he has an original set of unused factory XP 800 decals and is digging through his parts supply to find them. They are likely the last OEM set in existence, so if he finds them, they won’t be going on the ski… straight to high-resolution scanning for color matching and duplication. The adhesive on an almost 20 year old set of decals would be unusable anyway. Here’s to hoping!
54.jpg

As you can see, this ski has the wrong hood on it, and it has a jet-trim seat. Looking for a hood and a hump seat if anyone has one. He told me the motor started making some noise, so he tore it down (still in running condition) and it sat for 10 years. When I started going through it, I noticed that one of the rod bearings had failed, but not catastrophically. The jugs are on the original bore, pistons in good shape, and the bottom end looks to be in good condition. I got an extra crank with the deal as well.

I picked the second one up two weeks ago, and the awesome news is that it’s 100% complete and original. 250 bucks! The motor is stuck, so we’ll see what I’m up against once it’s out and on the workbench.

Overall concept for the build is "resto/light-mod." Here's what I mean: material quality has advanced significantly over the past 20 years, so I'm not going to be one of those “my 57 Corvette has the original air in the original spare tire” guys. Things like finishes, hoses, sealants, and drive-line seals (to name a few,) will be replaced with modern/superior equivalents.

That said, I’m going to go a bit nuts with the gel coat. The PPG color codes are still available, so I plan to have some samples sprayed, wet-sand/compound a small section of both colors on the hull, and spectrophotometer match to check for variation. Like all 20-year old boats, both hulls have some imperfections—crazing, dings, etc that will still be noticeable after compounding. I’m shooting for factory-fresh quality on these, so if I can't get the repair areas to match perfectly, new gel coat is in store.

More Photos Here: http://s145.photobucket.com/user/bgmeredith/library/95 XP 800 Resto?sort=3&page=1

More to come.

Cheers!

Ben

Ben, as a newbie to the site myself let me be the first to welcome you!! Looks like you have an awesome start and I look forward to following along and seeing what's comes of these skis!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Glad you got on here. Sounds like your gonna fit right in. Your choice in watercraft is literally perfect. Either of those 787's have an "X" on it?

I have a yellow single gauge hood and a hump seat, the only problem is the shipping would be crazy and the seat needs to be rewrapped

I would want $100 per item and then shipping at cost.

Nice set up there Ben, love to see the restos. I'm doing a 95 limited as well right now. I'm very interested in the decals if you get them remade to 100% exact just with modern materials. If that guy does not have a full set I have a 95% confirmation on the two front ones for sure that are NOS. Anxious to see these progress, and share some pics of your previous resto's. I'm a sucker for pics of a resto. Welcome aboard the forums here!

Welcome to the party cant wait to see how all these end up! I think we PMed back and forth last fall, but if you run into anything more common you need just let me know.

I sure hope that guy comes up with the decals! I know a guy that would buy a set for sure.

Ben, as a newbie to the site myself let me be the first to welcome you!! Looks like you have an awesome start and I look forward to following along and seeing what's comes of these skis!

Thanks! Just saw your post - epic find!

Wow! Glad you got on here. Sounds like your gonna fit right in. Your choice in watercraft is literally perfect. Either of those 787's have an "X" on it?

Thanks! One X motor for sure (confirmed by measurements, missing badge.) To be honest, I didn't even check number 2, but I will be checking today.

I have a yellow single gauge hood and a hump seat, the only problem is the shipping would be crazy and the seat needs to be rewrapped

I would want $100 per item and then shipping at cost.

Thank JSG - I might take you up on that if I cant source parts locally, you're right shipping would be insane.

Nice set up there Ben, love to see the restos. I'm doing a 95 limited as well right now. I'm very interested in the decals if you get them remade to 100% exact just with modern materials. If that guy does not have a full set I have a 95% confirmation on the two front ones for sure that are NOS. Anxious to see these progress, and share some pics of your previous resto's. I'm a sucker for pics of a resto. Welcome aboard the forums here!

Still no word on the decals, but he's still looking (lots of stuff in boxes.) if these don't pan out, I'm going to keep looking, hopefully between all of us we can come up with a full set to reproduce. I'm following your 95, looks like its coming along nicely, I must say, you do some beautiful work!

Welcome to the party cant wait to see how all these end up! I think we PMed back and forth last fall, but if you run into anything more common you need just let me know.

I sure hope that guy comes up with the decals! I know a guy that would buy a set for sure.

Thanks! Yep, that was toward the end of last season we PMed. I'll definitely keep you in the loop on the decals. Saw on another thread that you have a programmer... was curious if you are using a BRP, candoopro, or something else? I was considering getting the candoopro unlimited model. Living in AZ, I bring a lot of ski's back from the dead, and it would be nice to be able to document hours and program keys without sending the MPEMs out or visiting a dealer.

Double... make that Triple!

19 hours on the road, 850 miles, 49.5 gallons of fuel, $350, and one exhausted wife = XP 800 #3! After last weekend's trip (400 miles round-trip Scottsdale to Yuma) for a 96 XP, I'm surprised she hasn't decided to leave me!

I literally met a guy in a back alley in a scummy part of LA to get this thing... it was so sketchy in fact, that I made him drive with me to a DMV office to verify the title before I handed over the cash.

I have to say, I really don't understand the appeal of Los Angeles. It's incredibly polluted, dangerous, the traffic is a nightmare, it's expensive, and worst thing of all in CA: you can only drive 55 MPH with a trailer! Wife and I both grew up in southern CA, so I know it can be a great place to live, but LA... gross!

Check this out:

109.jpg

It's blurry, but that's 50 miles of 8-10 MPH... on a Saturday. Torture!

Since I had to move the other 800s to a storage unit to clear the trailer off:

110.jpg

I think I'll start the resto with the latest score. BTW- anyone need parts off of that crusty HX in the foreground? :)

On to the ski... before I even rinsed the LA grime off of the thing, I could tell it was super clean. Came with some aftermarket goodies as well.

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

Anyone know what this intake grate is? Haven't taken it off yet.
115.jpg

billet throttle:
116.jpg

VTS motor - no crust!
117.jpg

118.jpg

How the heck does this happen?
119.jpg

R&D goodies:
120.jpg

121.jpg

Goal for this weekend is to strip this thing down and start gel coat restoration. After hitting it with the pressure washer, the hull looks really clean... someone took good care of it.

Motor... stuck, which I knew before heading out to LA, and not an X, which I didn't know. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like inside. The last 787 I tore down was complete garbage... so full of sand, rocks, and corrosion, that most of it went in the trash. Hopefully this one will be better than the last.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a x motor at my house. The engine ate a rave and I don't trust the crank, but I'd sell it if you want it. I have like 3 spare bottom ends laying around atm.

[MENTION=32110]IDoSeaDoo[/MENTION] - I might take you up on that, I'll PM you.

So, update... Still no word on the decals, but I'm not giving up!

I mentioned in the last post that I picked up a 96 XP a few weeks ago. Since it's already getting hot, and I want an X4 to ride this season, I decided to build the 96 before I start the 95s. Starting a new thread on the 96...

Thanks! Yep, that was toward the end of last season we PMed. I'll definitely keep you in the loop on the decals. Saw on another thread that you have a programmer... was curious if you are using a BRP, candoopro, or something else? I was considering getting the candoopro unlimited model. Living in AZ, I bring a lot of ski's back from the dead, and it would be nice to be able to document hours and program keys without sending the MPEMs out or visiting a dealer.

I have the old handheld, I never really thought of how much use I'd actually get out of it.

BTW...The minty mint 95 my buddy has...its up for serious sale now. How bout a road trip to Minnesota?

[MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]

Beautiful ski, but I don't think I could handle a 3200 mile round trip. :) If you guys come out to Havasu this year and there's an empty trailer spot, I'm on it!

WOOHOO! :drool5:

I finally made it over to the storage unit to look at XP 800 #2. I bought the thing right before leaving town for work, so I didn't get a chance to look at it... picked it up and dropped it in storage. To my pleasant surprise:

345.jpg

So two X motors, one standard 787.

Now I'm anxious to get my 96 done as quickly as possibly so I can start on the holy-grail ski's!

Since I have enough parts for two correct XP800's with X motors, single gauge hoods & hump seats between the three, I think I'm going to use the third as a parts ski.

Agreed, any updates? I do believe my next purchase will be a 95 XP800 if I can find one cheap enough. Love em.

I wish I could find motivation to work on mine. I do have a ton of parts as well as others on here you should be able to build one reasonable if you can find a nice hull.

I just picked up a pretty decent 95 has a 787x motor disassembled in really nice shape. First x motor I've had out of all the machines I've seen.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

It will be a few weeks before I pick it up but we have a handshake deal

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back