1995 XP - Priming Fuel Lines ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
No, I checked that. I had them backwards at the start because they were the only two lines I had off at the same time, as I recall. I didn't see any issues with the filler neck on the tank or sending unit. I bet you that fuel filter is filled with something. I should have ordered the filter and selector when I did the job but we're up in Canada and it takes forever to bring things in from the USA. So now it's gonna sit for a few weeks until it shows up :( I just checked the hose, it's marked 1/4.

I should have picked up on the fact that when you blow on the return line you can hear/feel the bubbles but not on the feed line. It can only be the filter I think. But picking up on that plugged vent was really something. You can't pressurize the tank anywhere near what it was when it was plugged :)

No, I checked that. I had them backwards at the start because they were the only two lines I had off at the same time, as I recall. I didn't see any issues with the filler neck on the tank or sending unit. I bet you that fuel filter is filled with something. I should have ordered the filter and selector when I did the job but we're up in Canada and it takes forever to bring things in from the USA. So now it's gonna sit for a few weeks until it shows up :( I just checked the hose, it's marked 1/4.

I should have picked up on the fact that when you blow on the return line you can hear/feel the bubbles but not on the feed line. It can only be the filter I think. But picking up on that plugged vent was really something. You can't pressurize the tank anywhere near what it was when it was plugged :)
Ok, I just thought it might be 5/16 when you said about it leaking with the clamp undone. I’m in Canada as well. I order a lot of my stuff from OSD marine because they have genuine parts, good pricing and i usually have the stuff within 3 days. I have it shipped to a My Us Address service in Ogdensburgh and then go pick it up, saves me a lot of money that the shipping companies charge for brokerage to cross the border

Yeah, I bought the Mikuni 'back to stock' kits from them on your recommendation. I have an ultrasonic cleaner so that worked out well. I'm a ways from the border (Vancouver Island) so using a relay service only works if I'm ordering a LOT of stuff. I usually use Amazon and that saves me a fortune but in this case those odds and ends are coming from Bay Area Power Sports.

5/16th and the leaks makes sense but what I found is that the nipples on the fuel selector are not as large as the ones on the carbs it seems. So the clamps I was using, which were a tad on the large side, leaked at the selector only. But as soon as I clamped them with proper clamps, the selector itself started leaking. It's like playing whac-a-mole. But finding that vent plugged with bug debris was really something. I must have been putting at least 20 PSI into the tank and it would not vent. It was that plugged. Now you can hardly pressurize the system because it's properly venting.

Pretty sure that would have caused issues down the road. You couldn't see that it was plugged without shining a flashlight right into it. So I'm making progress.

Yeah, I bought the Mikuni 'back to stock' kits from them on your recommendation. I have an ultrasonic cleaner so that worked out well. I'm a ways from the border (Vancouver Island) so using a relay service only works if I'm ordering a LOT of stuff. I usually use Amazon and that saves me a fortune but in this case those odds and ends are coming from Bay Area Power Sports.

5/16th and the leaks makes sense but what I found is that the nipples on the fuel selector are not as large as the ones on the carbs it seems. So the clamps I was using, which were a tad on the large side, leaked at the selector only. But as soon as I clamped them with proper clamps, the selector itself started leaking. It's like playing whac-a-mole. But finding that vent plugged with bug debris was really something. I must have been putting at least 20 PSI into the tank and it would not vent. It was that plugged. Now you can hardly pressurize the system because it's properly venting.

Pretty sure that would have caused issues down the road. You couldn't see that it was plugged without shining a flashlight right into it. So I'm making progress.
If you can, I would get the selector valve from OSD Marine or seadoowarehouse as well. The Amazon ones I wouldn’t trust, do you need a new o ring for that fuel filter/seperator?

The ones on Amazon looked like junk but the fuel filter I'm getting is the entire assembly complete. The fuel selector looks to be the same as OE. One of the reasons I used Bay Area Powersports is that they appeared to be aware of the junk ones and were avoiding them. If memory serves, OSD didn't have the fuel filter assembly. Never heard of seadoowarehouse until now.

The ones on Amazon looked like junk but the fuel filter I'm getting is the entire assembly complete. The fuel selector looks to be the same as OE. One of the reasons I used Bay Area Powersports is that they appeared to be aware of the junk ones and were avoiding them. If memory serves, OSD didn't have the fuel filter assembly. Never heard of seadoowarehouse until now.
You can just hit the button SEA DOO PARTS at the top of the page and it will take you to seadoowarehouse. They are all OEM parts on there.

Good news guys - the new fuel selector and filter arrived the other day and after installing, and pressurizing the system to fill the lines/filter - blammo- she fired right up. Re-starts every time, and starting is effectively instant. Throttle response appears to be perfect. The idle on the hose is pretty high but as I understand it, once it's in the water it will decrease. So the fuel issue was a plugged vent at the top of the ski due to bug nests plugging it up and either the filter or the selector switch being plugged (probably the filter).

I am still having issues getting this thing to flow fuel.

I clamped the 3 lines going to the fuel selector that I forgot yesterday.
Also clamped the two lines at the fuel filter (forgot those too).
The outlet line on the fuel filter is going to the inlet on the carbs (1995 XP)
With the return line pulled off the plastic tee, if I blow on the tank (pressurize it) I get leaks somewhere at the fuel selector valve. Not a ton, but it does leak.

I cannot get fuel to appear at the plastic tee on the return line with the tank under pressure.

Fyi, fuel selector was not replaced. carbs were done properly with the 'back to stock' Mikuni kits and all fuel lines were replaced one by one.
Very frustrating. I was hoping to get this thing off my plate today :)
If you have leaks at the fuel selector valve, when blowing into the tank, you better fix first, the fuel pump in the carb sucks the fuel out of the tank, and a leak will allow air to be sucked into the fuel line. I always hook up a vac pump to check the fuel lines for leaks

Good news guys - the new fuel selector and filter arrived the other day and after installing, and pressurizing the system to fill the lines/filter - blammo- she fired right up. Re-starts every time, and starting is effectively instant. Throttle response appears to be perfect. The idle on the hose is pretty high but as I understand it, once it's in the water it will decrease. So the fuel issue was a plugged vent at the top of the ski due to bug nests plugging it up and either the filter or the selector switch being plugged (probably the filter).
Just re reading your last post, that’s great, I’m glad you got it working right 😀. Just wanted to mention that running on the hose should only be done for flushing purposes, not running when flushing for more than 1 minute.

Good point. But the really good news is that, now that it's fixed, it's back at the owners and not at my house :)
It would have been interesting to look in the filter. I should have broken it open (it could not be unscrewed). Also, the new fuel valve turned like butter. So it too may well have been gunked up. Moral of the story is probably this, if you're going through the effort of a proper Mikuni rebuild and new fuel lines, just do the filter and selector switch while you are at it. It would have saved me many weeks of waiting for parts and not a small amount of frustration.

Back