1995 seadoo won’t crank but dash gauges come on

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Owenl

Hey guys I have a 1995 seadoo xp when you hit the starter button both happens only the dash gauges come on for a little bit. When you jump the starter solenoid it cranks so I replace it thinking that was my problem. It wasn’t.. I’m lost now it has a good battery and everything.

Hey guys I have a 1995 seadoo xp when you hit the starter button both happens only the dash gauges come on for a little bit. When you jump the starter solenoid it cranks so I replace it thinking that was my problem. It wasn’t.. I’m lost now it has a good battery and everything.
Any help?

Have you load tested the battery? Also test the solenoid, I have gotten bad ones before.
Have you jumped the ski with cables, which is not a good thing?

Have you load tested the battery? Also test the solenoid, I have gotten bad ones before.
Have you jumped the ski with cables, which is not a good thing?
Idk how to leaf rest the battery but I took one out of a hood running ski and the still nothing happens. I believe the the guy before me replaced the solenoid too but not 100% sure. I haven’t jumped it with cables when I said jump I meant I took a screw driver and crossed both ends of the solenoid and it turned over. It also doesn’t have spark idk if that would have anything to do with nothing happened when I push the start button but just throwing it out there. How should I test the solenoid?

You can put a meter on the solenoid and get a resistance measurement. Do a measurement using the two pins that the connector plugs into. Not he big ones for battery power. Post the results and someone should know if it is right.
Sounds like the batter is ok if you swapped them and still the same but if you want to load test it just take it to an automotive store they can do it for free.
Have you checked the connections at the coil(s)?

So battery is good if it cranks jumping the solenoid.
If the gauges come on when hitting the start button then the MPEM is waking up.

Considering everything seems to be working except you have no spark and it will not crank with the start button I would suspect the lanyard kill switch.

Considering everything seems to be working except you have no spark and it will not crank with the start button I would suspect the lanyard kill switch.
Yes it cranks when I bypass the solenoid right when I connect the 2 contacts without hitting the start button but when I just hit the start button without crossing then nothing happens at all no noises just the dash lights and the vts gauge and stuff like that. Is there a way to test the kill switch?

Ok so do I unplug those 2 wires? And would I put negative on black and black and gray I think it is on positive and test it with the key in?

Attachments

• 2FCB154B-4A66-48C1-9FA0-10C3B9FA5488.jpeg
    2FCB154B-4A66-48C1-9FA0-10C3B9FA5488.jpeg
    168.7 KB · Views: 10
Ok so do I unplug those 2 wires? And would I put negative on black and black and gray I think it is on positive and test it with the key in?
And I also only have a cheap $10 harbor freight multimeter will that work?

Unplug it and see if it has continuity when open and closed.
Ok where would I unplug it at down

Also with the mpem u found that there’s a 15 and a 20 shouldn’t it have a 15 and a 5 amp?

Attachments

• 49073E34-0D31-407D-A633-3DF041919CA5.jpeg
    49073E34-0D31-407D-A633-3DF041919CA5.jpeg
    325.4 KB · Views: 10
Good news the sill switch was bad so I bought a new one and it turns over and has spark!! Now I probably need to rebuild the carbs

Back