Any interest in fiberglass hoods or powder coating?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is the kind of thing i do when its to cold to go out into the shop and work, i sit around and think.

So first part of this: i'm thinking about making a fiberglass hood for my x4 project instead of trying to repair the single gauge i currently have. so i'm basicly wondering if anyone else is interested in having one made? the obvious benefits being lighter weight and the ability to gel coat it so it wouldn't fade out like the plastic ones. they will be molded out of a single gauge hood and depending how well i do i might try to make a 2 gauge like the one matt is using on his carbon fiber build. maybe even try a cyclops hood for holding a single multi-gauge like used on the gsx/gtx. anyway if there is enough interest i'll make the molds out of the more expensive mold making materials so if people want them i can make more than one.

the same hood style is used on more than just the x4.

also once i get my powder coating system set up, anyone interested in having your 2 stoke motor parts powder coated?

probably, i dont know what all is involved with doing carbon fiber, and not sure if the all the chemicals used to make the fiberglass molds will be compatible with fiberglass, i will look into it tho.

I would love a dual gauge hood made out of fiberglass or CF. Theres a company that made them in the past but they are very rare.

Can't really copy another companies work directly, could maybe make a knock off that is very similar but not a direct copy.

Why not? You don't seem to be concerned about replicating the OEM single gauge ones? Most companies are defunct by now and most patents would have expired by now if there even was one. I'd prefer a CF one over fiberglass. This has been a project I have kicked around in my head more than a few times, anxious to see what you come up with for sure! Might save me the leg work, LOL. I know the first sentence doesn't sound good--I'm not bashing, I'd rather you do a direct knock off.

Guys reproduce skidoo hoods for sleds. This guy(link below) has many parts even with bombardier logos and names right on them.

These hoods are EXACT for restorations

http://www.reproductionvintageparts.com/page8.php

Why not? You don't seem to be concerned about replicating the OEM single gauge ones? Most companies are defunct by now and most patents would have expired by now if there even was one. I'd prefer a CF one over fiberglass. This has been a project I have kicked around in my head more than a few times, anxious to see what you come up with for sure! Might save me the leg work, LOL. I know the first sentence doesn't sound good--I'm not bashing, I'd rather you do a direct knock off.

Guys reproduce skidoo hoods for sleds. This guy(link below) has many parts even with bombardier logos and names right on them.

These hoods are EXACT for restorations

http://www.reproductionvintageparts.com/page8.php
That's exactly what I was concerned about. I don't want to get in legal trouble, I figured brp wouldn't care as they have bigger fish to fry so to speak and didn't Want to step on a small businesses toes, and a smaller guy would be more likely to take action. I'm working on this still learning the finer points of the techniques. I'll probably start making attempts around mid February.

Powder coating system will be up and running by the end of the month hopefully. I'll post prices on that soon.

To do cf really good you need to vacuum it down against the mold. They make special bags that will help squeeze the resin through the material. It's like glass, but different, lol. There are some great videos of some Brit's that do a hood scoop or something, it's very good and informative.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Subscribed: I have some previous work experience with building tooling and carbon body work. I did a bit while I was in college including this car.

132.jpg

I would be interested in a hood made of glass or carbon. Let me know if you would like any advice or lay ups, pre preg carbon, vacuum bagging or autoclaves. I would like a mirror less hood with room for 2 gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed: I have some previous work experience with building tooling and carbon body work. I did a bit while I was in college including this car.

132.jpg

I would be interested in a hood made of glass or carbon. Let me know if you would like any advice or lay ups, pre preg carbon, vacuum bagging or autoclaves. I would like a mirror less hood with room for 2 gauges.

Will do!! You'll probably be hearing from me.

132.jpg

Sounds like you can build the hoods. I would imagine you would need a paint booth to do some of the work in.
It would suck to get dust in the clear gel layer.

Im in too! I have a few on request with KTM but I dont know if they will ever get done. Even then, I'd still prob buy one. ESP if you get into CF.

And dont worry about getting hassled...no one ever had patients on these parts. I'd make that mold directly off Matts if he will borrow it to you and make the dual gauge hoods. You dont necessarily have to use both, but it gives you the option.

I have a fair amount of CF experience. I worked at a major defense contractor in their composites development center. It is a bunch of work. The parts are light though. The material is strong, but not as impact resistant as some fiberglass work. It can shatter and is tough to repair. Not sure if it is needed for a rec ski, but it is a discussion topic and what is REALLY needed anyway. I did a full off road race car body in CF. But racing is about weight. Don't underestimate CF work though. It eats drill bits, etc. It forces you to use vacuum bags, more expensive epoxy and of course, the CF is much more expensive than glass. Most real CF work is vacuum bagged and then put into a big oven to cure. But then again, they are using what is called prepreg materials where the resin is already in with the CF and you use the oven to cure it. Wet systems don't always need an oven. Your tooling needs to be mirror smooth since you want the part to be smooth and shiny when you release it. Otherwize you get into sanding and polishing the surface resin. It is not as easy to do as what we are used to with thick gelcote. Also, the layup is critical in CF. The whole point is to see the fiber pattern. So you need to be really careful on laying down the fabric so it is nice and neat looking. Finally, you need to make sure the layup is balanced, or when it cures, you part could curl up like a potato chip! (I have seen nearly 1/4" CF panels do this) A hood has enough geometry to prevent this, but it is something to be aware of.

I like the CF look so I am actually about to get some CF vinyl wrap film and wrap my project Shamu hood. I will update my thread with lots of pix when I do it.

This is a great thread and I would love to see it done. But really look into it before you leap. Glass/polyester or glass/epoxy is much more forgiving.

Im in for 2 single gauge or dual gauge real CF hoods. Would be great to see these made again.

Rob

I have a fair amount of CF experience. I worked at a major defense contractor in their composites development center. It is a bunch of work. The parts are light though. The material is strong, but not as impact resistant as some fiberglass work. It can shatter and is tough to repair. Not sure if it is needed for a rec ski, but it is a discussion topic and what is REALLY needed anyway. I did a full off road race car body in CF. But racing is about weight. Don't underestimate CF work though. It eats drill bits, etc. It forces you to use vacuum bags, more expensive epoxy and of course, the CF is much more expensive than glass. Most real CF work is vacuum bagged and then put into a big oven to cure. But then again, they are using what is called prepreg materials where the resin is already in with the CF and you use the oven to cure it. Wet systems don't always need an oven. Your tooling needs to be mirror smooth since you want the part to be smooth and shiny when you release it. Otherwize you get into sanding and polishing the surface resin. It is not as easy to do as what we are used to with thick gelcote. Also, the layup is critical in CF. The whole point is to see the fiber pattern. So you need to be really careful on laying down the fabric so it is nice and neat looking. Finally, you need to make sure the layup is balanced, or when it cures, you part could curl up like a potato chip! (I have seen nearly 1/4" CF panels do this) A hood has enough geometry to prevent this, but it is something to be aware of.

I like the CF look so I am actually about to get some CF vinyl wrap film and wrap my project Shamu hood. I will update my thread with lots of pix when I do it.

This is a great thread and I would love to see it done. But really look into it before you leap. Glass/polyester or glass/epoxy is much more forgiving.
Exactly and I think the price would be too high to justify. That's why I was thinking about a thin and light weight fiberglass core, the lightest weight Oz per foot fabric, wrapped in real cf. Would probably weigh 1-2 pounds heavier than pure cf, have a little more impact resistance, and a heck of a lot easier on me to make since I already have most of the fiberglass stuff and fiberglass is more forgiving and I'm more used to working with it and getting it smooth. All of which would translate into lower prices.

Outside of you guys I have to be thinking like a business man, to be appealing to the public they need to priced competitively to good used stock hoods, which are disappearing. Non the less, while I do love you guys here like brothers and love the sport, I need to make a profit too. So it's all a numbers game.

I would guess you would need to be in the 500 to 600 range to make all cf and it be worth your time in building them. There would be a lot of trial and error on the first couple before they would come out perfect every time.

exactly thats why i'm leaning toward the cf skinned fiberglass, lot more cost effective. thus the final product being more attractive, i know that i personally would not drop more than 200-300 on a new hood, regardless of materiel. because at that point might as well refab a single gauge off of an spx or spi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back