Yellow 587 rotary valve oiling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
...good morning guys, thanks for having me. Long time reader, first time posting.
...ok, soo... long story short. I was recently blessed with a "yellow 587" jetski motor. It was definitely not a fresh rebuild, nor was it a "high miler". It seems like a well cared for piece of machinery, who's life leans more towards 'respected' as opposed to 'rode hard and put away wet'... now for the short part of the story, lol.

...l converted it into a "land animal" by putting it into a 1997 Yamaha G16a Golf Cart. Please don't judge me, its not my fault. Someone left me unsupervised with a big pair of scissors and i did what came natural to me. Luckily, i had my helmet on that day, lol... My issue/question is with the rotary valve lubrication. I decided to block off the oil pump and go with premix lubrication. Now, I'm the type of guy that does a lot of research before I attack a certain situation in a certain type of way. And in most cases I battle my own logic many times before I ultimately make decision. I've read that Sea-Doo calls for a 50:1 mix on the fuel/oil ratio and I've also read that people like to run 40:1 on their ratio... Initially, I chose to go with a 32:1 mix on my ratio. I am no stranger to a 2-stroke but this is my first rotax jet ski motor that I've ever dealt with and I didn't want to f*** it up. At least, until I learned what it needed or where it wanted to be in terms of the fuel/oil ratio. Especially considering the fact that it is essentially a fish out of water at this point. That being said, one of the things that I know about a two-stroke with premix fuel is: if it's not smoking then it doesn't have enough oil. That's the general rule that I've always gone by, and that I was taught to observe, and that has kept me out of trouble. I've got about three and a half miles on it, almost half of which were with the front wheels off the ground (LOL, that's my favorite part šŸ˜). The thing runs like a dream. I installed it with an electic water pump, radiator and a cooling fan so it doesn't overheat. It runs so good that I had to put a second muffler inline behind the first one just to get my neighbor's crazy eye to go away. Everything seemed happy until I chewed the teeth off my rotary gear that rides on the crank. Now, I'm not sure if some of this wear is from its prior life, or if the gear was perfectly fine before I got a hold of it, or what, so that part is still to be determined. I know I said earlier "long story short" but thank you for reading and here is my point: do I have to have the oil injection for the rotary valve or is it okay to run the premix? Everywhere that I've read dictates that it's fine either way and it's usually a matter of preference but I'm just looking for some opinions from live people who might have already beaten down this path about my specific situation. I rather enjoy being on the learning curve and I respect everybody's opinion... I thank you all for your time and I would appreciate your input... even if it's just to roast me for my sacrilegious behavior.

When guys do an oil injection delete they buy the block off kit for the oil pump and then fill the crank where the rotary valve lives and then cap off the supply and return lines for the engine.

If you didnā€™t do that you killed the rotary gear due to lack of lubrication

Sounds like a fun project. The RV lines need to be looped and filled with oil like the above post says. If you sheared the brass RV gear, its best to tear down the engine to clean and inspect everything.

Back