1995 XP Gauge (oil, fuel, temp, battery) Question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

orbit398

Hello,
I recently purchased a 1995 XP. The multifunction gauge doesn't work and I am trying to figure out why. Nothing is "on" in any of the displays within it. I checked the fuses in the electronic module box (5 amp and 15 amp) and they are both good. The 5 amp is the one I am interested per the diagram below as it appears to power the gauge.

Per the wiring diagram in the service manual, I followed the RE-PU (red/purple stripe) wire to the connection under the hood going to the gauge (see red line in diagram pic). At this two wire connection, I do have battery power, so the circuit is good up to the gauge. I also checked the BK (black) wire to make sure it is grounded (see blue line in diagram) and it is indeed grounded. So power is to the gauge and it's grounded.
Question - the manual says it's an LCD type gauge. I have not seen one work before and wonder is should be showing something. Anyone comment on that? Being there is nothing showing in any part of the gauge, is it just bad?

Btw, the Tachometer and VTS gauges both work.

1668382393869.png

1668381647955.png

Off the top of my head I would say it’s the sensor isn’t reading any anything it doesn’t have any information to display in gauge if u read ur posts correctly

"the" sensor? The gauge doesn't show/read 'fuel', 'oil', 'battery', 'temperature'. Any of the sensors which is just odd to me. I assume the gauge is blank when the waverunner is not operating, right? And if I press the start button, per the manual, the gauges 1- mulit-gauge, 2- VTS, 3- rpm all come to life for 33 seconds. The VTS gauge does register the position, RPM is at zero but I know this gauge works cause it does when motor running. Nothing in the multi-gauge one; no liquid crystals showing

"the" sensor? The gauge doesn't show/read 'fuel', 'oil', 'battery', 'temperature'. Any of the sensors which is just odd to me. I assume the gauge is blank when the waverunner is not operating, right? And if I press the start button, per the manual, the gauges 1- mulit-gauge, 2- VTS, 3- rpm all come to life for 33 seconds. The VTS gauge does register the position, RPM is at zero but I know this gauge works cause it does when motor running. Nothing in the multi-gauge one; no liquid crystals showing
I miss understood the question my bad

Couldn't find any wiring issues so ended up purchasing a used 'working' gauge. Hooked it all back up and appears the gauge works as when I hit the start button, all small red lights come on in each spot for the battery, temperature, gas and oil. Shortly after, the battery, temp, oil lights go out, but the fuel light (next to the gas pump figure) stays on. Tank was pretty low on gas and figured that light comes on when the tank is low. So I added five gallons of gas.

So again, I hit the starter button and all four red lights come back on, but the gas light still doesn't go off.

Does this indicate the used gauge is really bad? Also, there is no lcd indications on fuel level. Wondering if the engine has to be running for the lcd in the gauge to work, i.e., indicate fuel level. Or perhaps the gas level sending unit in the tank has failed.

Ski is new to me so I don't know how this is supposed to work. thanks
1670005752110.png

I took out the fuel baffle as it wasn't registering any ohms so faulty and common from what I have learned. So I have also learned the issue may be a built in fuse in the circuit board (F1 spot) and folks simply solder across this spot as the whole system is already protected by a 5 amp fuse. Anyway, I took the bottom off the assembly and I am not sure how the float actually is providing any kind of signal to the circuit board as it floats up/dn. There is noting on it that would provide a signal, like a magnet or something. Any one have a picture of what the float is supposed to look like? It has the slot in the middle where I assume there is supposed to be something to provide a signal

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3038[2].JPG
    IMG_3038[2].JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3037[2].JPG
    IMG_3037[2].JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 10
I took out the fuel baffle as it wasn't registering any ohms so faulty and common from what I have learned. So I have also learned the issue may be a built in fuse in the circuit board (F1 spot) and folks simply solder across this spot as the whole system is already protected by a 5 amp fuse. Anyway, I took the bottom off the assembly and I am not sure how the float actually is providing any kind of signal to the circuit board as it floats up/dn. There is noting on it that would provide a signal, like a magnet or something. Any one have a picture of what the float is supposed to look like? It has the slot in the middle where I assume there is supposed to be something to provide a signal

thanks

solved - float is the issue. slide a magnet up/dn inside the baffle tube on the circuit board and it register ohms on my multimeter, thus that part works. New float on the way 1670081676301.png

So - looking for someone who has an XP or the multi-gauge liquid crystal one. I finally got this new float, pic above. Installed the new float in the baffle and it does register ohms when the float moves up/down the baffle deal; indicates the circuit board part works. So I plugged the baffle in (connected it) and pushed the start button. Electronics work for 30+ seconds. Gauge lights come one but nothing still in the gas level area. Have a few questions as I have no idea what the gauge is supposed to show.
1- does the gauge show bars or something that indicates fuel level? A pic of one with the fuel level would be helpful as all I can see on the web is ones for sale, thus not powered - pn 278000502
2- does the engine have to be running for it to register gas?
3- can anyone verify if this replacement float actually works in a 1995 fuel baffle. All websites I go back to stop at 1996. The old float appears to have a spot in it for only one magnet where this new one has two

Last edited:
The shop manual specifies the resistance values for the 8 different positions of the float in the tank. You said you measured resistance so you can check this and know that the new float operates correctly or at least verify that the resistance values you read are within the specified range. I would guess that the magnet fell off your old float and is probably at the bottom of the tank. If you are measuring the resistance right at the connector on the fuel baffle, also measure it at the Pink and Pink/Black wire that are going into the new gauge at the gauge connector. Check that these pins are clean and making good contact
The gauge needs to be powered to show the level. The 30 second timeout when you light the LEDs should let you see the black bars on the LCD gas gauge. If the tank is empty, then no black bars. Half full then 4 black bars. Full then 8 black bars.

Well, being I saw I had resistance values that changed as the float moved along inside the fuel baffle, I assume at least that part is working. So I put it all back together last night. Plan to put some gas in it this afternoon and start it. I didn't know the values to compare against. The multifunction gauge is a used one I just purchased as well. I hope it works too but don't know. The 'new' float is different that the stock one I had (foam) and it appears that only 1 magnet was glue in it. Months ago when restoring this one and an '95 HX, I tore both apart, replaced gas lines, rebuilt motors etc. I cleaned out the gas tanks and vaguely the little magnet but all the trash in the tank was thrown out. Being the fuel baffle was all together I have no idea on how that magnet got out of the fuel baffle cylinder. Anyway I am still confused on why this new float has two magnets in it and the original seemed to have just one (I can see a single glue spot). I have not found a picture of a '95 original float. And unfortunately, parts for XP waverunner only go back to 1996 on many websites. Hard to believe the fuel baffle would be different but just a bummer the '95 isn't in any parts lists.....

OEM Parts Finder

This should be a parts diagram for the 1995 XP with the 717 engine. The Riva Racing website will go back even further than 1995.
awesome - thanks. Looking at the fuel baffle part number between the 1995 & 1996 XP, they are the same. So being the new float for the 1996 one is the correct part, it should be perfect for my 1995 mdel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back