Reliability & common issues with the 1996 SPi / 587 in general

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

smokinu454

Hey guys, first time poster here. I have been out of the PWC world for quite some time. We spend most weekends on the pontoon and we have been thinking of adding a PWC to the mix. I suspect that the family may lose interest so I am starting with something cheap. Im going to look at a 1996 Spi that appears to be in pretty good shape. The guy says it has no issues, runs good, compression is 135psi on both cylinders, and is offering a water test ride. Its been a while but I seem to remember that skis from this year range with the 587 were pretty reliable in general. What specifics do you advise I look at to make sure Im not buying someone else's problem?

Double check compression (~150psi new), make sure carbs are rebuilt, no grey fuel lines, and lake test it. Those are super simple skis, reliable but not fast.

Thanks for the info! I will keep those in mind when I look at it today. Yea I know they arent super fast, From what Ive read 40-45mph?

You’ve most likely figured it out by now…but yes your speed is accurate. I’m 170lb, & I get 43mph using a handheld Garmin GPS.
mine has only 135 psi on both jugs. They are loads of fun because they’re a fairly ropy machine, but do not handle tw “heavier” people, & are useless for travelling anywhere if there is even a small swell, the short length results in continuous porpoise.

If you get a moment do a review on the different models, each has their own benefits and weaknesses, Make sure the SPI has the characteristics you like when riding around...

Back