Another Newbie -- tech question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephendudra

My wife bought 2 - 2003 Seadoo GTI's last night. 1 runs the other doesnt.

The 1 that doesnt run, doesnt do anything. If you attach the lanyard, you get no beeps or signs of life on the ski.

Since we have 2 of the same ski's, I swapped out the following and excuse my ignorance as I dont know the parts.

I swapped the following and tried each time but still nothing.

1. batteries
2. The "kill switch" that the lanyard connects to.
3. The computer looking module that is in front of the engine.
4. The electronic box that is behind the engine.

each time that I replaced something, I tried it and NO signs of life. Before we start to sink a lot of money into this, anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks for any and ALL assistance and I look forward to some fun rides on these toys!

The first thing I would do is to make sure that the engine has not siezed. Remove the black and then the red batter cable from the battery, pull the spark plugs, connect the sp boots to the grounding strip, front of engine. Will the engine turn over with the starter?

If yes please reply to this post. If not there is a cover over the flywheel and drive shaft at the rear of the engine, remove the cover and see if you can turn the flywheel by hand.

Lou

Lanyard

I just thought of something. Do you have a seperate lanyard for each ski? Because a lanyard has to be programmed by the dealer for a particular ski.

Lou

thanks for the response.

I tried both lanyards, neither does anything. My understanding is if you put the wrong lanyard in, then it should beep 1 long tone.

The engine does turn by hand just fine.

I called a local tech and he told me to press the starter button 5 times to see if I get the powerup on the guages. I will try that at home. He also told me that the lanyard and the MPM are paired together and I didnt not swap them at the same time, but might try this again when I get home.

I will also try the spark plug boot suggestion below as well.

Any other ideas?

Starter/Fuel/Ignition?

So the engine will turn over by hand, but the starter won't turn the engine over this that correct?

I'm trying to find out if the problem is the starting system, or a fuel/ignition problem.

I really didn't have an idea about the spark plugs, that strip at the front of the engine only provides a place to ground the spark plug wires.

Lou

Battery Cables

O.K., check the battery cables, check for corrosion on both pos. and neg. cables, you could have corrosion inside the cables, i.e. battery cables to clamps. There is also a 5 amp. fuse inside the mpem that you could check, however I doubt that its the fuse since you swapped mpem's.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back