Adding analog Tach to 2000 GS - Can the tach be taken apart?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

baseavers

I'm adding a Tach to my 2000 GS and have found all the info I need on wiring. However, in my search, I have read alot about corrosion in gauges. I bought the gauge used and it appears that there may have been moisture in it and I want to clean the inside of the lens and reseal if possible. My problem is that I can't seem to get it apart and don't want to distroy the gauge.

I took the four screws and backing plate off
then loosened the three screws under the backing plate(thinking they held it together)
tried breaking apart by hand, but no success

Is there a trick to this or is it even possible?

Thanks for any info!

It can be opened if you remove the black metal retaining ring around the plastic lens. You can Dremel it out or if you have patience you could loose the back part of the ring with a screwdriver. I did it this way on my tach.

Waste...of...time. And it will never be sealed again.

Just buy another one from me...the guy who sold it to you should take it back. I refuse to sell anything questionable.

Yep, the best place to get a good used gauge is from Nick [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION]. Really a pretty simple install. Personally I prefer an analog speedometer and a digital tach. in the multi-gauge.

Lou

Hehe. Not so fast. It’s a waste of time if you have the privilege to live near. I’m 10,000 milles and two Customs Offices away so I have no choice but fix it here.
I opened mine last month and the ski is now being used at the sea everyday now (it's summer here) . All working fine.

Well, almost fine, the compass failed but it’s the module, not the Infocenter.

Ric

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I hear ya. I did one of those info gauges once and it was never the same and got water in it despite my attempts to seal it up.

I could get a gauge to you for under 50 though. Just a thought.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

The original poster lives in IL, a better option for him is to buy a good used gauge.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back