2000 gs will not start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

rkkoeb

So I picked up a 2000 GS 717 as one of my projects for this summer. Person destroyed the motor so I rebuilt and motor and installed it. I have all new fuel lines, rebuilt carb, new rectifier and the engine has 150 on each cylinder. I cut the coil wires back 1/4" and installed new plugs. Put some gas down carb and it popped off for just a second. I know have not been able to get it to pop off again. Looks like it has weak spark and even if I put gas down carb or cylinder it will not pop off. I tried changing out the coil with a china special one I had and not better results. What can I check next?

on the coil pack does it mater what side the white or black wire goes on top of the coil?

If you have spark, have you check your rotary valve gear? The brass gear could be stripped. On my skis if I have everything else right, and it won't attempt to start, it'ls usually been the rotary valve gear.

I rebuilt the motor and the gear was fine. Going to try a different coil, should arrive tomorrow

So some updates: Put in the new coil and using my spark tester I seem to have spark. when I hook up the lanyard, I get two beeps and when I test the white wire going to the coil I am getting power. I decided to pull the rotary disc back off and make sure I had it timed correctly. I put everything back together and it popped off for about 30 seconds but would not start after. I am wondering if the plugs are bad so picking a set up today. If new plugs doesn't get it to start what are your thoughts to check?

If you have spark, have you check your rotary valve gear? The brass gear could be stripped. On my skis if I have everything else right, and it won't attempt to start, it'ls usually been the rotary valve gear.
I had same problem, check rotary valve clearance, if out of spec, install new cover, and fire her up

I didn't see anyone comment on the question of "Does it matter which wire goes where on the top of the coil pack?". I have a 2000 GS and have to replace the coil pack as well. Thanks in advance!

It is a wasted spark engine so both wires spark at the same time, can't be connected wrong.

Back