1997.5 GSX Limited will not start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

water toys

Hi, looking for advice before I buy carburetors.
I removed the tempo fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs. I used a 1998 rebuild kit and found out after reading threads here, that 1997.5 with the 951 white motor was a kind of 1 off-emissions control thing. and had a much lower pop-off pressure than the 1998.
The ski does the notorious huge exhaust bang. blew the rear rubber exhaust boot apart. I figured it was flooding and igniting the fuel in the exhaust. but now I am questioning ignition timing. I am not sure how that could change. I have excellent spark and good compression. The ski cranks over doing nothing until you give it lots of choke and then backfires sometimes violently. I tried removing plugs and turning it over to clear fuel then crank it with the gas off and nothing. then I manually squirted gas in the carbs and it only pops with small backfires, even tried some either with the same results.
Could the backfires change the timing? how would I check ignition timing? the ski only has 1 coil.
Thanks
Jeff

Hi, looking for advice before I buy carburetors.
I removed the tempo fuel lines and rebuilt the carbs. I used a 1998 rebuild kit and found out after reading threads here, that 1997.5 with the 951 white motor was a kind of 1 off-emissions control thing. and had a much lower pop-off pressure than the 1998.
The ski does the notorious huge exhaust bang. blew the rear rubber exhaust boot apart. I figured it was flooding and igniting the fuel in the exhaust. but now I am questioning ignition timing. I am not sure how that could change. I have excellent spark and good compression. The ski cranks over doing nothing until you give it lots of choke and then backfires sometimes violently. I tried removing plugs and turning it over to clear fuel then crank it with the gas off and nothing. then I manually squirted gas in the carbs and it only pops with small backfires, even tried some either with the same results.
Could the backfires change the timing? how would I check ignition timing? the ski only has 1 coil.
Thanks
Im pretty sure the ski should have 2 coils not 1 but i think this is a timing issue. Have you ever replaced engine with a donor or a previous owner done that?

Thanks for the reply, I have owned it since almost new. I think they went to 2 coils in 1998 or 1999. It makes sense it is simply flooding as the work was done to the carbs which are under the exhaust and a chore to remove. but I can not get it to run at all even with the gas turned off and cranking like crazy.

Dual coil 99 and up
did you replace the needles and seats when carbs were rebuilt?
Genuine Mikuni kits ?

Last edited:
Replaced seat O rings. Tested pop-off pressure and it was near 40 psi. Then put original springs back in and down to low 20s. Not a Genuine Mikuni kit, which I'm sure is a mistake. the 97.5 evidently has a way lower pop-off pressure than the 98 rebuild kit that I got. I was going to buy used 98 carbs and rebuild them with a Mikuni kit, but I'm just hesitant that I missed something else. example ignition timing? original motor and everything else compression 118 and 120lbs.

Back