NMEA 2000 on a 2005 4-Tec SCIC Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

ODavis

I picked up an older 2005 Challenger 180 in great shape. The analog electronics stopped working like most have experienced.

I sent the Tach and fuel gauge back to Faria to be repaired and they did a very quick turn around and fixed the gauges. Not nearly as cheap as some have posted here, but quick turn around just the same. That helped me verify what's working. So now everything works as expected in factory condition. Great place to start.

Now While waiting for those gauges to be returned, I decided to install the Yacht Devices YDEG-04n engine translator. Also it did not go as easily as I have read on here and FB and needed quite a bit of tweaking. I had to change the wire(s) around of the Deutsch Connector to match the older BRP connector. The adapter they sell is NOT the correct adapter for this year and must be changed manually. Also the CAN bus runs at 250 and NOT 500 as indicated in the manual of the YDEG.

The pinout is as follows and is not documented anywhere

BRP
1 Red/White (CAN H)
2 Black/White (CAN L)
3 Black (Ground)
4 NC
5 Purple (VCC)
6 Yellow/White (ECU)

YD
1 Yellow (CAN H)
2 Blue (CAN L)
3 Black (GND)
4 NC
5 Red (VCC)
6 White jumper wire to pin 6 of other YD connector for CANDoo to work as well.

So far I only get RPM's and Engine hours. Although CANDoo gets a lot more. I am going to work with YD tech support and get the rest working. According to them it may require a FW update. I am sending them log files to study and hopefully get the rest working.

So I have read that you need an expensive chart plotter to make this all work and possibly make a new dash.

I fully understand the benefits of a chart plotter and have them on my bigger boat. But for this little thing I don't see the benefit, cool factor maybe, but my phone with Navionics is more then enough to be honest. So I went with an NMEA 2000 multi function tach the Veratron VMH-35. Very reasonably priced comparatively.

The Veratron VMH 35 is also GPS enabled and provides speed as well. Once I get the rest of the parameters working, engine temp and boost will be displayed also.

Anyway this weekend will be my first outing with this boat, so I will let you know how it all works out. Also will update when I get back with YD tech support. Nice to have everything working. I removed the Speedo and put in a Kicker Stereo in it's place, I also removed the weedless and use that switch for the stereo.

Attachments

• N2K-Tach.jpg
    N2K-Tach.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I spoke with Yacht Devices and they are working on supporting the older engines. Would be nice to see engine temp, boost pressure and exhaust temp. But we shall see.

Last edited:
I literally had the exact same experience, except with a 2005 GTX SCIC. After rewiring it and setting it to CAN speed - 250 I’m only getting RPM (and probably engine hours, but my garmin display doesn’t show it.) I reached out to them and they requested the CAN logs from the YDEG-04n and the trace files from Candoo pro, so hopefully they can match up the can signals correctly. My guess is there’s some difference between the 2005 and earlier ECU’s, I know seadoo has switched suppliers over the years. Let’s hope between all the diagnostic data they’re getting from different customers, they’ll figure this out with an update for next boating season.

I literally had the exact same experience, except with a 2005 GTX SCIC. After rewiring it and setting it to CAN speed - 250 I’m only getting RPM (and probably engine hours, but my garmin display doesn’t show it.) I reached out to them and they requested the CAN logs from the YDEG-04n and the trace files from Candoo pro, so hopefully they can match up the can signals correctly. My guess is there’s some difference between the 2005 and earlier ECU’s, I know seadoo has switched suppliers over the years. Let’s hope between all the diagnostic data they’re getting from different customers, they’ll figure this out with an update for next boating season.

Yeah, I think you will see engine hours as well. What Garmin do you have? Most do support engine hours.

But yeah, YD asked for the same data, so hopefully there will be an update in our future. It would be awesome to be able to have turbo boost numbers.

I installed the Garmin ECHOMAP UHD 64cv to replace the broken gauges, which are ridiculously expensive. It could be that that model does display engine hours, once the other data didn't show up I stopped going through it, I figured I'll just wait until it's all worked out. The engine hours display is just not that important to me while riding, especially since I have the Candoo system.

In the install manual found here: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...06E0DAFD0/EN-US/ECHOMAP_UHD_Install_EN-US.pdf

States it supports PGN's -->
127488 Engine parameters: Rapid update
127489 Engine parameters: Dynamic - has the engine hours in it.
127493 Transmission parameters: Dynamic
127498 Engine parameters: Static

So some where you should be able to populate a data bar with the engine hours or create a new engine screen with that data in it. Usually from the home screen there are options to do this.

I spoke with Yacht Devices and they are working on supporting the older engines. Would be nice to see engine temp, boost pressure and exhaust temp. But we shall see.

Well Yacht Devices came through and sent me a beta FW release that got this working, and boy was that fast. Only a few weeks from me sending the files in. The YDEG now supports RPM, Engine Hours, Boost Pressure, Engine Temperature, Exhaust Gas Temperature and Battery Voltage. This is pretty sweet to have all of this on a single 3" gauge. Even though the engine idiot lights are working, I can still set digital alarms on the VMH-35. No need to have a big display or have to redesign a new dashboard to fit one.

EDIT: This beta FW at this point and I am not sure when they will release the finished product. But I am sure if you reach out to tech support they will give this you as well.

Last edited:
This the contents of my setup file. This is for my 05' and the ENGINE_CAN_SPEED is set to 250 not 500. Newer units will need to be set for 500.

#----------------------------------
# Current configuration of Yacht Devices Engine Gateway
# Firmware: 1.36 05/05/2023

ENGINE_CAN_SPEED=250

ENGINE_0=0
ENGINE_1=1

HOURS_OFFSET=0

BRP_ROTAX=REQUESTS
SMARTCRAFT=OFF
VOLCANO=OFF
EDC2=OFF
MEFI4B=OFF