98 spx restore

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricochet88

I bought this spx two years ago I'm finally getting around to fixing it. Bought it with a blown motor As a package with my gtx for 900 with a double trailer. I finally got a motor for it off craigslist for 400 I'm in the process of cleaning and installing the motor and buffing the hull. It's in pretty good shape as it is just needs a decient buffing and recover the seat. Anyway here's some pics

Sweet patch job looks like jb weld and a penny then a worm clamp around the pipe lol

Here's the new to me motor not sure if I'm gonna paint it or not

Any ideas on how to fix this spot of the foam?

I would not try filling that foam. Instead find a seat locally for $25 and take the foam from that. Any xp 93-96 spi sp spx 94-99 with the same hull seat foam will work. However the base of the seat maybe different and wont close, so use your base. Paint the motor. You dont need to sandblast it, just scuff the paint and put 2 coats of any color and 2 coats of clear. It will make such a huge difference.

102.jpg

204.jpg

491.jpg

536.jpg

441.jpg

The silver color that is pretty close to the stock color is vht silver wheel paint. Racerxxx had used it and it looks real nice when done. Just make sure to tape off all inlets. You can use vacuum plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, after scuffing use acetone/mineral spirits/paint thinner or whatever you want and clean the engine well. Then prime it. It will cost about $25 in paint but it will look great and make it alot easier for you to clean the motor later. I used all vht products, I used the engine enamel clear. At autozone they will sometimes run sales on the paint I bought alot when all the vht products were $6 a can

That plug is repairable. Take it to a local shop and you should be able to get it welded for about $20 per plug. I would have both plugs on that side welded. You will be glad you painted it. It makes any oil or gas spill an easier clean up. Plus it looks much better.

Yep it looks really good thanks for twisting my arm lol:thumbsup: anyone know what those things are for in the first pic? They were in the bottom of the fuel tank?

Ya they look like some hokie fuel saver kind of thing. Lmao yep that's them I will say the fuel tank was spotless inside lol they aren't magnetic

They have had a lot of magazines review them supposedly they got more mpg granted idk if they were paid to say that or not lol

The grey lines didn't have any goo in them or any varnish in the tank even tho it's been sitting for at least two years

couple questions the oil injection lines are off does it matter which line goes from the oil pump to the injector? i assume it does. two im gonna be ordering new hydro turf for it i cant decide on either the snow camo or just black any opinions?

Shouldn't matter about the oil lines.

Snow Camo. I just put yellow camo on my 96xp project, so I am partial to camo. :)

I'd think that it would matter so the it would squirt oil when the valve opened?
80.jpg
this is how I have them now. If your looking at the oil pump the left nipple goes to the PTO. Right or wrong?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My spare pump that has not had the lines removed shows the lines swapped on the pump from what you have. But it probably doesn't matter.

I found a picture in the manual with it switched I'll switch them jic it matters. Trying to find a good spot for my tto tach. thinking I might mount it either above the little spx sticker between the gauges or on the handle bar throttle shroud

Thought of a slik way to run the tto wiring well I thought it was slick at least lol I got my hot iron and melted a little notch in the gauge to run the wire thru uploadfromtaptalk1399602871205.jpguploadfromtaptalk1399602889118.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back