98 spx restore

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna have to say the corrosion did it. When it starts growing it can press against the seal and wedge it outward. The inside of those water jackets looks pretty corroded up.

When buying cylinders, try to find low hour ones. The fact about 787s is the actual channel where the rave travels is said to wear out and allow too much exhaust gas to go into the rave housing. This will melt those dumb plastic plungers, even if you replace the rave and housing. I know it's impossible to tell how many hours are on a jug, but if you see a black stain from the rave, stay away from it.

O ya I wasn't gonna risk it I'm gonna send it to fullbore prob unless you know of a better place?
Watercraft Magic is only 35 mi from you in Glendora and they do great work! Had my cyl work done by Chris. One bore over with Pro-X pistons were my choice.

watercraftmagic.com

Chris is a great guy! Very friendly and knowledgable! Has helped me a ton as well as alot of other people!

OK so I'm finally getting around to working on the Seadoo again. Took the cylinders to a local guy he really seems to know his stuff. I started to install the sponsons and have a question. Is there supposed to be a spacer between the hull and the tracer sponson? Or does the sponson mount directly to the hull? Looks like beach house ones have a square spacer between the two is why I ask.

Bump am I missing a spacer plate on these tracker sponsons?
398.jpg

Oh no, glad you asked. Those fender washers are what goes inside the hull. Those backing plates look flat but they actually should have a slight concave carved into them that fits the curve of the hull.

This is a different brand but the same concept.

Attachments

• photo(81).JPG
    photo(81).JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 52
No that's the spacer on the outside. Washers on the inside. Super glue the lock washers to the big washers and the nuts to the lock washers. Probably gonna have to hack the Styrofoam up to get those in there too.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

It will fit real tight to the hull when tightened down. Be sure to use a good silicone in there and just wipe smooth what squishes out before it dries.

Finally got the tracker sponsons on what a pita lol my gf helped me put the nuts on
511.jpg
512.jpg

On a side note anyone know the size bolt the oil pump uses? Mine backed out before the rebuild and its gone

Finally got out and broke in the new top end all seems fine. Those sponsons make all the difference tho helped keep most of the porpoising to a minimum and holy mole it turns on a dime! lol my arms are sore today from hanging on hahahaha

Too bad its blurry....now thats the best display of a Westside decal ever!! With the GF ass up helping with "your nuts"! LOL

Looking at most of these pics of the sponsons it appears that there is not much to most of them and it has been a long time since I had some in my hands to look at. Is there any reason that a good set can't be used as a template and just cut some from a sheet of UHMW poly? I just don't see what justifies the $250 price tag. Seems like we could get a few members to go in on a few sets and make them cheap.

Sorry for the hijack.

couldn't agree with you more mac. maybe one day when I'm done with my more "prioritized" projects, I'll give this a whirl. Not sure what UHMW poly is, but I have a couple cutting boards noone would miss xD

UHMW Poly is Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene just a fancy name for the plastic. The cutting board material might be too soft.

Yea, I was kidding about the cutting boards :) If anything, I'd first try to make them out of fiberglass. I have a few hulls here that I could cut some pieces out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back