98 spx restore

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
gonna drop the motor in the ski this weekend think i should change the counter balance oil in it before or should it last the life of the motor?

What do you recommend putting in there I've seen people say 30wt oil or synthetic Seadoo 2stroke oil?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

What do you recommend putting in there I've seen people say 30wt oil or synthetic Seadoo 2stroke oil?

I just changed mine. The manual calls for 30 mL of SAE 30 motor oil.

Also, do it while the motors out; it's a bitch to re-install the bottom drain plug.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only 30wt oil I find is bar and chain oil for a chain saw that work?
Edit: found straight 30 oil lol

Well engine is in and hooked up except for the pipe clamp stupid me I dropped the nut for it in the hull....anyone know what size it is so I don't have to take the pipe back out?uploadfromtaptalk1399772996967.jpg
Oil pump look lined up OK?uploadfromtaptalk1399773089742.jpg

The clamp nut is a bit of an odd ball, most of the M8 fasteners are M8x1.5 I believe the nut is a finer thread at M8x1.0, also note it is a nylon lock nut, not just a standard nut.

Use an air hose to blow the nut to the front or the back to retrieve the nut you dropped. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found the nut hiding under the water box lol got it all buttoned back up and she fired right up! Thanks for everyone's help. Still not completely done need to recover the seat then can water test it hopefully this next weekend

Recovered the seat today after sanding down the bad section of the foam its not perfect but will do for now. Looks 100x better than before needs a new strap old one was stretched out and funky McNasty lol uploadfromtaptalk1400372238964.jpg

Well its been awhile but the maiden water voyage was a success! I'm hooked on the x4s and the 787 motor hauls A! Took it out to our place in the Colorado river just outside of Blythe. The only little thing was my vts boot ripped and was very slowly letting water in prob gonna stop by parker Yamaha tomorrow and grab a new one. Thanks everyone for your help

Bad news the oil pump bolts came off so the engine wasn't getting oil. The front piston is scored a little at least I caught it before it completely imploded :-/
563.jpg

I'm sorry to say this....
But that piston is done!!!
Check the compression but even if it checks out its a ticking time bomb and if you do a top end now before it implodes and takes the bottom end with it!!!! It def was running dry... Threadlock is your friend;)
Sorry:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I'm not riding it anymore the rest of my trip I could have sworn I put red locktite on it too. The rest of it doesn't look that bad won't know till I pull it apart back at home. O well just gonna premix it from now on lol

thanks redaggie ya it sucks but it always could be worse im in the process of taking it apart now. i broke two head bolts one in each cyl :facepalm: the cylinder doesnt look scored much at all so far ill post pics once i take it completely out. on another note i found out why my gas gauge wasnt working after i fixed the fuse in the pickup....as i was riding it before it blew up the gauge literally fell out bc it was so rusted lol

Cylinders don't look too bad no real gouges I can barely feel them caught it pretty quick. The pistons are stamped 81.89 what's the OEM size on these?uploadfromtaptalk1404691528277.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404691538595.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404691560936.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404691580702.jpg

That's standard bore. Not to sound harsh but that needs a bore. You'll roach a new piston in no time. You can get away with just a bore on the one jug if you want to save some cash.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm sure you have a local automotive machine shop that can bore the cylinders

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

As im here chasing all the threads and cleaning up the bolts, I noticed this bump in the water jacket this OK to run like this? Its on the mag cyl looks cracked right where the rubber gasket bottoms out at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back