98 GTS strange noise suddenly appeared on lake

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hey I’ve got a 98 GTS I bought last year.

I’ve thrown it on the lake 3-4 times since I got it. First two times were uneventful except a almost dead battery.

I threw fuel stabilizer in last year before winterizing it. When I started it the first time this year it was fine but slowly decided it wouldn’t idle without some gas. I figured old gas. Seemed to bog down when giving gas until it hit a point it was accelerating and seemed fine. I figured maybe a couple clogged carb jets? I also noticed a leak on the tuned assy (on the soft plugs) so I threw some marine jb weld and it seemed fine.

Anyway, I added some fresh 91 no ethanol and some marine sea foam and brought it to the lake today. It started and needed some gas like usual. The jb weld was doing well so I gave it some gas and it bogged down again until it got over that hump and started flying.

Then I heard a loud noise and the thing started rattling and lost considerable power. My wife was with me on her 98 GTS and she towed me back nice and slowly. Here is a video of it running after we got back to the dock. Any ideas what’s wrong?

I’m not too mechanically inclined but I’m learning! Thanks in advance!

Based on the amount of smoke I see in there. I suspect your exhaust has disconnected or cracked somewhere. It did seem kind of loud when it started. The exhaust fumes might be causing your performance issues.

I also saw water spray up. Is there a lot of water in the hull? You might still have a water leak as well. Might be related to the exhaust smoke issue.

thanks for your advice! I saw there is one more small leak on a different soft plug on the tuned assy, which explains the water, different from the one I epoxied. I’ll take a look at the exhaust system for cracks or separations

Back