97 gti fuel delivery problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

momeara

It died on me about five years ago and just got around to working on it again. At the time it would crank but would not start except with starter fluid (which i know not to use now) so i know it has spark and compression, i think, which leaves fuel delivery, so i rebuilt the carb replaced all of those grey fuel lines took a look at the fuel selector which looks clean to me took out the baffle pick up which also looks clean, and ive looked at the filters too which are also completely clean, so i think ive knocked out a bunch of possible problems but what should i look at next? I dont seem to be getting any fuel to the carb or oil. Is there a fuel pump somewhere or does it work off of suction from the engine? Im pretty confused by this point.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you open both sides up? The side with the nipples on it is where the fuel pump is located. It works off of a pulse line from the engine case. If you carb is like mine, you had 3 hose barbs on that side. If you remove the 4 screws on that part you will find the filter that's in the carb and some diaphragms with a o-ring that has a center line divider. The barb that goes to the engine is in the cover. It can get a little nasty and under that cover is a gasket (if it's old it will look like it's part of the cover). Then there is a thin clear piece of plastic. Next to that should be a very flimsy thin black rubber gasket. These need to be in pretty good shape.

Also, when you did the carbs, did you use the 'old' spring for the needle or did you replace it? If you replaced it, try putting the old one back in. In the carb side is a thing called the valve body. It has 2 phillips head screws holding it in that were a pain to remove. on the bottom of this thing is a small triangular metal holder, tiny screw and a clear tiny flap under that holder. I mention this because, on my 1st cleaning, I lost this piece and did not realize it was even there. Without it, my ski was very hard to start and would not idle. I felt right smart when I found it on the other ski, lol. See if any of this helps and look over Snipe's corner:

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?4151-Snipes-Korner

Kevin

I did open up both sides of the carb, I thought everything looked alright in there but I'll have to check out that gasket. I did use the old spring. And im not sure about that little piece your were talking about I'll have took look for it. Im pretty sure I'm not getting any gas to the carb, would a bad gasket be enough to cause that or should i be looking for something else? But thank you for all of the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back